Girls getaways happen all year round, but one of our favorite times of year to go on a girl’s trip is during the summer. And there is nothing quite like a weekend or week-long getaway in the United States with your girlfriends during one of the warmest seasons of the year!
Think of days hiking, drinking wine, relaxing on the beach, exploring the city, hitting the thriving nightlife, festivals, or visiting a spa.
With so many fabulous summer girls getaways destinations to choose from, in this article, we round up our top 12 girls getaways destinations in the US to get you excited for a weekend away with your girlfriends!
1) Charleston, South Carolina
As the oldest and biggest city in South Carolina – Charleston and has a distinctive and unique charm. Filled with colorful houses in 18th-century style, plantation houses, carriage rides, and brunches.
It is a picture-perfect location for summer girls getaways and the perfect place to stock up on a month’s worth of Instagram content! Along with plenty of activities, including visiting the 18th Century Charleston mansions, going shopping on King Street, and visiting one of Charleston’s many rooftop bars.
Charleston is the ultimate relaxing destination with luxury day spas and a beautiful city with colorful buildings that you can spend the day getting lost in.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Charleston, South Carolina
- Go shopping locally for handcrafted products at the Charleston City Market or local produce at Charleston Farmers Market.
- Take a distillery tour and sample some locally produced hooch.
- Explore Sullivan’s Island Beach, with natural paths and large beaches.
Accommodation In Charleston, South Carolina For Groups
- Charming Charleston Cottage Located Steps Away From King St/Historic District
- Historic c.1856 Charleston home located in Charleston’s Cannonborough neighborhood which is home to some of the city’s most popular restaurants including Fuel, Xiao Bao Biscuit, Estadio, and Chubby Fish
- Beautifully Renovated Chapel fully renovated and converted to a 5-bedroom; 4 ½ bathroom home perfect for a girls getaway
2) Chicago, Illinois
The Windy City is a great place for summer girls getaways, with the world-famous Millennium Park and the Bean, world-class museums, and of course, shopping on the Magnificent Mile.
Chicago is the third-largest US city, but don’t let that put you off. There is a lot to do and explore without feeling the overwhelming of a big city. Chicago has a large river running through it which goes past the buildings and leads to Lake Michigan.
There is a series of public waterways, with riverfront cafes, restaurants, river taxis, and river cruises. Chicago even has several beaches; the most popular beach is North Avenue Beach, with watersports, restaurants, and beach activities.
The cities skyline is best seen from above, either from a rooftop bar with cocktails or from the Willis Tower Chicago Skydeck (previous the world’s highest building).
We have many great articles to make the most of your time in the city, so bookmark our The Perfect 3 Day Itinerary To Chicago, Illinois, and The Ultimate Chicago City Guide posts to plan your perfect trip!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Chicago, Illinois
- Explore Millennium Park, a 24.5-acre park downtown, which hosts special events throughout the year. And see the world-famous Cloud Gate (the Bean).
- Have a girls cocktail night at a rooftop bar and admire the cities skyline.
- See the panoramic views from the 442-meter Willis Tower at the Chicago Skydeck, formally the world’s highest building.
Accommodation In Chicago, Illinois For Groups
- 5 Bedroom / 4.5 bathroom rental home close Chicago’s super hip bars, restaurants, and nightlife
- Elegant Modernist Home, Steps from Wrigley and Lake Michigan. This ideally located mid-century town house is minutes from downtown shopping and museums.
- Stylish 6 Bedroom Home in Trendy Logan Square
3) Key West, Florida
If beach summer girls getaways are more your group’s scene, Key West is a great option. Connected to the mainland via 48 bridges, this island offers an abundance of outdoor activities, beautiful beaches, the historic streets of Old Town, and cycling trails.
Mallory Square is the place to be at sunset with great dining options and street performers. Alternatively, you can take a sunset cruise – they have every option of boats from party boats to small catamarans. Key West sunsets aren’t to be missed!
Key West has the best Key Lime pie in the world, but they also have lots of other great food options to enjoy – especially if you love seafood! They also have several great brunch spots.
The island is all about getting on the water, whether in a kayak, swimming, paddleboarding, snorkeling, or taking a boat trip. Key West is best experienced from the water.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Key West, Florida
- Take to the water, whether on a boat trip, a paddleboard, sunset cruise, catamaran cruise, or an tour of the mangroves. Check out tour options here.
- Relax on a beach, Smathers Beach, Fort Zachary Taylor Beach, Higgs Beach, or Rest Beach are good options.
- Explore Duval Street with lots of dining options, shops, sample key lime pie, historic homes; the area also holds events and festivals throughout the year.
Accommodation In Key West, Florida For Groups
- Grand home in the Historic Seaport area of Old Town Key West
- Spectacular two-story beach house home situated in the premier gated community of historic Truman Annex
- “Mango Margharita” home convenient Old Town Location, located a block from Duval
- Parrot Key Hotel & Villas
- Oceans Edge Key West
4) Denver, Colorado
Denver might not be the first destination you think of when you think of summer girls getaways. Still, this popular winter destination is also a unique and wonderful place to visit in summer, with outdoor activities, world-class spas, and a thriving art district.
The Rocky Mountains aren’t just for skiing or snowboarding. In summer, they are great for hiking, mountain biking, and filled with natural wonders.
Denver’s nightlife is filled with a bit of everything from live jazz, cocktail bars, wine bars, and the South of Colfax Nightlife District where you girls group can dance the night away.
That’s not all, Denver is a foodies paradise with superb steakhouses, Asian cuisine, and lots of Vegan or Vegetarian options.
We love Denver in summer and winter and have a lot of great articles to make the most of your time in the city, so bookmark our Girls Getaway Guide to Denver and 10 Denver Attractions Not To Miss posts to plan your perfect trip!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Denver, Colorado
- Visit a mountain resort or bar for après happy hour after your day on the mountain hiking or mountain biking.
- Check the event calendar as there is often a large number of events happening all around the city.
- Explore the city by taking a walk downtown, stopping at great shops, restaurants, and quaint coffee shops along the way.
Accommodation In Denver, Colorado For Groups
- Modern luxury 3 bedroom home in the heart of Denver
- Clayton Members Club & Hotel
- Halcyon Hotel In Cherry Creek
- The Ramble Hotel
5) Maui, Hawaii
Hawaii is always a great idea any time of the year, but there is something special about visiting Maui for a girl’s trip in the summer.
A Maui girls getaway is all about relaxing on the beach, hiking, swimming or snorkeling with marine life, and eating delicious foods. Along with being at one with the ocean, Maui offers great hikes thanks to its mountains and natural wonders, many of which offer incredible views, especially on road trips. The mountains also make incredible stargazing locations, specifically Haleakala Summit.
A trip to the Hawaiian islands wouldn’t be complete without sampling a Hawaiian acai bowl, fresh poke, and Hawaiian mixed platos.
Maui is a quieter island than Oahu, with waterfalls, mountains, and farms. The island, although quieter, still has great dining and shopping locations for some retail therapy.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Maui, Hawaii
- Spend a day exploring the uninhabited Molokini Island Preserve a semi-circular island – a great snorkeling destination.
- Relax or surf on one of the island’s many beaches. Some great ones are – Kapalua Bay Beach, Keawakapu, or Kahekili.
- Drive the Road to Hana, stopping off at waterfalls, roadside stalls, and the Haleakala National Park.
- Take a helicopter ride with Maverick and GetYourGuide.com viewing stunning waterfalls and landing in the rainforest to enjoy a glass of champagne!
Accommodation In Maui, Hawaii For Groups
6) Napa Valley, California
Girls getaways and wine go together like California and sunny weather – a non-negotiable. Napa and Sonoma Valley are hugely popular areas for girls getaways, and there’s a good reason for that.
Sipping delicious local wines from the never-ending wineries while looking out over the valley’s rolling hills is something so peaceful and beautiful to experience with your group. If you have had your fill of wine, there are plenty of other things to do in Napa as well!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Napa Valley, California
- Take a hot air balloon trip over Napa Valley to experience the panoramic views of the vineyard and landscape.
- Stomp grapes at the famous Sterling winery.
- Visit a winery and take a tour of the vines and the tasting rooms!
Accommodation In Napa Valley, California For Groups
- Contemporary Mediterranean Villa in the Napa Valley
- Montecito Vista, a 5 bedroom home just 1 mile from Oxbow Market and 1.2 miles from the tasting rooms, restaurants, and spas of Downtown Napa, Montecito
- Downtown St. Helena historic designer home and guest house
7) Nashville, Tennessee
Nashville is a great summer girls getaway destination. In summer the city has warm temperatures, lots of sunshine, and lots of great special events.
Nashville is famous for its live music, and during the summertime is no different. You will find plenty of live music throughout the city and in the bars, making for a great girls night out. You will also find distillery tours and outdoor events.
We love Nashville and have many great articles to make the most of your time in the city, so bookmark our Best Things To Do In Nashville and 8 Stops For Your First Nashville Trip posts to plan your perfect trip!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Nashville
- Take pictures next to all the amazing street art murals, including the famous Draper James wall outside Reese Witherspoon’s shop.
- Spend a night discovering new music talent at the famous Honky Tonk bars on Broadway Street. Our favourite is The Stage, where you can enjoy the early part of the evening on the rooftop and make your way down to the bottom floor to dance the night away!
- Learn your country history at the Country Music Hall of Fame
Accommodation In Nashville For Groups
8) San Francisco, California
San Francisco has something for everyone with the Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars, Alcatraz, Coit Tower, and Fisherman’s Wharf, to name a few, along with museums and more to explore.
As one of the most beautiful cities in North America, San Francisco has a vast mix of things, making it suitable for every summer girls getaways.
The hilly neighbourhoods and lots of classic American sightseeing spots like Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge, or the Painted Ladies (made popular by the TV show Full House) make it an excellent city for exploring.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In San Francisco, California
- Relax or have a picnic in Golden Gate Park.
- Take in city views by taking a daytime or twilight cruise through San Francisco Bay.
- Play tourist by joining a hop-on/hop-off bus tour.
Accommodation In San Francisco, California For Groups
9) Las Vegas, Nevada
Otherwise known as ‘Sin City,’ Las Vegas is well known for its bachelorette parties and girls getaways, and it’s easy to see why. With endless night and day parties, pool parties, and lots of unique things to explore, there is something for every girl’s trip.
If your ideal summer girls getaway is to party, Vegas is the place to be, with some of the best clubs and bars in the country, as well as endless day parties and pool parties. With brunch spots, world-class dining, and over-the-top everything, Las Vegas is the place to party.
However, if your girls don’t feel like partying every day, Vegas also has lots to enjoy without drinking. There are options to take day trips to the Mojave National Preserve, Grand Canyon, Red Rock Canyon, Death Valley National Park, or the Hoover Dam. Many of these national parks have great hiking spots, and during the summer, Willow Beach is also a great watersports destination.
Las Vegas is also a great place to watch a show, walk around the casinos, and go shopping.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Las Vegas, Nevada
- Watch the fountains of Bellagio, with over 1,200 geysers on an 8 and a half acre lake. Set to music, this show lasts 15 minutes. Follow this up by exploring the Venetian Las Vegas. Take a trip to Italy’s famous canal city, in the heart of Vegas. You can walk around the shops, visit the gelato stands, St Mark’s Square, a large casino floor, and you can even take a gondola ride!
- Travel roughly 30 minutes out of the city to visit the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, with trails, rock climbing, and beautiful views.
- Have a bottomless brunch at HEXX Kitchen and Bar located in the Paris Hotel. This restaurant is often packed with groups and bachelorette parties.
Accommodation In Las Vegas, Nevada For Groups
- The Wynn, Las Vegas
- The Cosmopolitan Of Las Vegas is one of our favorite places to stay in the city and is the only hotel with balconies overlooking the strip
10) Seattle, Washington
Well known for coffee, beautiful scenery, and the Space Needle, Seattle is a great summer destination for a girls weekend or week-long trip. Filled with independent restaurants, local coffee roasters, world-class museums, and lots of green space for outdoor adventures. It’s an exciting place to explore with the girls.
Seattle is also a great base for exploring Olympic National Park, with hikes, trails, hot springs, and lakes. It makes for a great day trip from the city.
We love Seattle and have many great articles to make the most of your time in the city, so bookmark our Guide to Seattle, Washington and A Guide to Olympic National Park, Seattle posts to plan your perfect trip!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Seattle, Washington
- Head to the top of the Space Needle, and see 360-degree views of the city.
- Take in the views, eat lunch, or have a picnic in Gas Works Park.
- Catch a summer concert; some great ones are – Capitol Hill Block Party, Bumbershoot, and other events.
Accommodation In Seattle, Washington for Groups
- Hotel Ballard in the Ballard area of Seattle, which is a charming neighborhood filled with funky shops and renowned restaurants.
- The Palihotel located in downtown Seattle is a well-reviewed charming boutique hotel perfect for a girls group getaway.
- The Four Seasons hotel is an excellent luxury option for your group with a stunning rooftop pool.
11) Newport, Rhode Island
Newport, Rhode Island, is a charming New England town. Boutique hotels are in abundance, and Main Street is dotted with cute shops and vintage candy stores.
There’s no shortage of delicious seafood in Newport with cold Narragansett beers and a cup of the area’s famous chowder, all while dining alfresco on casual, dock-side patios admiring the ocean. You can enjoy the picturesque wineries, high-end boutique shops, and great beaches.
You can even set sail; on a sailing trip around Newport, there is even a morning mimosa sailing tour serving bottomless mimosas while sailing along in the sunshine!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Newport, Rhode Island
- For dinner, if your group loves seafood, head to Bouchard, or Stoneacre Pantry, and the Midtown Oyster Bar (locals favorite).
- Head to Thames Street to shop, visit museums, dine at a restaurant, and admire the historic charming homes.
- Take a walk along Cliff Walk past marble houses, the ocean, and cliffs.
Accommodation In Newport, Rhode Island For Groups
- Hotel Viking is a historic hotel well located close to the beach.
- This historic Newport stone carriage house near the cliff walk sleeps 5 guests in 4 bedrooms.
- Cliffside Inn is a charming property located in Newport’s Bellevue Avenue Historic District neighborhood.
12) San Juan, Puerto Rico
For a further afield summer girls getaway without reaching for your passport, head to San Juan.
Puerto Rico is great for exploring nature and adventurous girl getaways. With the United States only rainforest – El Yunque, it is ideal for hiking, taking a dip in the refreshing natural pools, and of course, beautiful waterfalls.
However, it isn’t all about hiking; there are some beautiful beaches for some rest and relaxation. In addition to visiting the lively Old San Juan, filled with dining options, stores, and the cities old charm.
San Juan has incredible rooftop bars, lively bars, and delicious fresh foods.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Explore Old San Juan and admire the colorful buildings and soak up the culture.
- Relax on Condado Beach with little foodie spots.
- Head to El Distrito to dance the night away.
Accommodation In San Juan, Puerto Rico For Groups
- The Fairmont Hotel located in Isla Verde is a stunning beachfront property.
- Dorado Beach Hotel is a Ritz Carlton hotel with beautiful ocean views.
- El Colonial is an adults only hotel located in the city center and near the airport – this is a more budget option versus the beach front hotels.
Summer Girls Getaways Wrap Up
There you have it, our top 12 destinations for a fun summer girls getaway!
Was your favorite included in the list? Let us know your picks for the best US girls getaway destinations for summer!
We hope that this article has inspired you to go on a summer girls getaways. If you have any questions about the destination or have your own travel tips to share please leave these in the comments below.
Want to share your own travel tips by guest writing for We Are Travel Girls? Go to our Contribute page for guidelines and to submit your article.
Read More Girls Getaway Guides
- 15 Best California Girls Getaway Destinations
- Top 10 Winter Girls Getaways Destinations In Europe
- Ultimate Girls Getaways For 2021
Pin For Later
This article may contain affiliate links, if you purchase something using one of our links we may receive a commission. Please see our Disclosures for more information.