Girls Getaways are always a lot of fun. You get to reconnect and catch up with friends from childhood and college, and bond deeper with newfound friends.
However your group dynamic might look like, girls getaways are great for the soul and can be squeezed into a weekend or become a week-long adventure with your best friends.
California is one of the most versatile states in the USA and offers lots of entertainment and relaxation options for your group. Whether you are after nature, snow, heat, beach days or sipping wine in Napa, California has it all!
We rounded up our 15 best California Girls Getaways to inspire your next adventure with your girls!
There’s no denying that Joshua Tree National Park is located in an incredible and astonishing part of California. A little off the beaten track, this park is about two hours east of Los Angeles.
Here you’ll find the famed Joshua Trees, close to cactus-dotted Colorado and the Mojave Desert overlooking the Coachella Valley.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Joshua Tree
- Soak up the awe-inspiring nature and desert wonderland from the comfort of a guided tour. Learn about the history of this fascinating landscape in the ease of a guided tour.
- Go thrifting for Mexican blankets, folk art and mid-century collectables at multiple shops like Starlite Courtyard, Hoof and the Horn and Pioneer Crossing
- Explore Pioneertown to experience a live-in motion picture set developed for actors and crew. Perfect to enjoy beer, music and line dancing!
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree is home to some of the most unique AirBnbs in all of California! We’ve put together our list of some of our favorite AirBnbs you can book, including luxury airstreams, glamping, and even a converted UFO!
If a hotel is more your style, check out:
- Sands Hotel and Spa – Designed by a world-famous interior designer, Sands is a truly unique
Experience. Pink Cabana bar and restaurant is a must for its 50s and
60s design from the Tennis and Racquet clubs of the time. Sands is the perfect mixture of luxury and exotic meets Moroccan-inspiration
- HOTEL PASEO, Autograph Collection – The nightlife of El Paseo “The Rodeo Drive of Palm Springs” is the perfect place for a Girls Getaway surrounded by shops, galleries, bars and restaurants. Hotel Paseo is modern and luxurious with three dining restaurants, a beauty shop and a large pool.
- Embassy Suites La Quinta Hotel & Spa –Nestled a few minutes walk from Old Town La Quinta, and surrounded by the Santa Rosa Mountains. Embassy Suites provides a luxury place to reside. Complete with a sun-drenched dining experience beneath the open-air atrium serving Mediterranean style dishes. Large outdoor pool and sun deck for taking the weight off your feet.
Long Beach is situated around an hour south of Los Angeles and is a perfect destination for a girls getaway! Many visitors to California may miss this coastal gem in favour of nearby destinations like Laguna or Newport Beach, but they would be missing out!
Long Beach is packed with amazing restaurants, bars and activities that make it an excellent long weekend destination. Spend your days sipping on mimosas at incredible brunch spots, get out on the water on a paddle board, a Duffy or even a real Venetian gondola, and spend the evenings at one of many great wine tasting spots like District Wine and Art Du Vin.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Long Beach
- Hire a Duffy and cruise around Alamitos Bay and the canals. You can book a Duffy boat with Boathouse On The Bay or London Boat Rentals. With Boathouse On The Bay you can order snacks, prosecco and even oysters to enjoy with your cruise.
- No weekend or girls’ getaway would be complete without a stop for lazy brunch, and the best spot in Long Beach is at The Attic on Broadway. This southern-style Instagrammable brunch spot is located within a 1920s style building and serves up their famous MacNCheetos.
- Stroll along Retro Row (Fourth Street) visiting unique boutique stores selling vintage products, retro furniture, and quirky gifts. Make a stop at Oh La Vache to pick up some tasty cheeses and then stroll over to Art Du Vin to pair these with some organic wines.
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Long Beach
There are so many great hotels and vacation rentals to choose from in Long Beach that are perfect for a girls getaway. We stayed at Hotel Maya Long Beach, a DoubleTree by Hilton. The hotel is situated right on the water so you can book rooms with views out to the famous Queen Mary.
My favourite parts of the hotel were having brunch at Fuego, complete with tasty mimosas or bloody Mary’s to start your day and Long Beach, relaxing in a cabana poolside and sipping on margaritas by the waterside firepits in the evening.
A couple of other well reviewed hotels in Long Beach include:
- The Westin Long Beach – Top-rated hotel in the middle of downtown, with resort-style facilities.
- Hyatt Regency Long Beach – Located close to the waterfront while still being close enough to walk downtown.
- The Cove Hotel – Close to Shoreline Village, this hotel is within walking distance of many of the cities many attractions.
Malibu is a world-famous beach town that sits west of Los Angeles. It is a great place to visit during a girls trip to LA, or if you want to fully embrace the celebrity lifestyle you can rent a house on the beach for your group or stay at one of Malibu’s many luxury hotels!
There are an array of things to do outdoors in Malibu, including spending a day Surfrider Beach, eating at some of the cities top restaurants including Nobu, Gladstones, Moonshadows, Dukes and Neptunes Net, trying your hand with surf lessons or relaxing at a good wine tasting spot.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Malibu
- Take a sightseeing and wine tasting tour around Malibu in a Vintage VW Camper. This tour is a great girls getaway activity for you and your girlfriends with stops at the historic Malibu Pier, Adamson House, Point Dume and Rosenthal Wines. Book this vintage camper tour here on GetYourGuide.com.
- Enjoy brunch at Malibu Farm Cafe or Malibu Farm Restuarant on Malibu Pier. Both offer outdoor dining with views over the ocean perfect for a weekend brunch with girlfriends.
- Spend an afternoon enjoying wine flights at Rosenthal Wines. For $30 you can get a wine flight of three whites and three reds to try. There is a great outdoor area to sit which is perfect for groups and they have regular live music. It is recommended to make a reservation and you can check out the calendar for events to plan what day to visit.
Where To Stay In Malibu
- The Surfrider Hotel Conveniently located close to the Malibu Pier, overlooking the beach, this hotel is beautifully designed and presents the perfect backdrop for your girls getaways photos!
- Calamigos Guest Ranch and Beach Club Set away from the beach this stunning ranch property offers its guests a place to relax, unwind and escape from the city!
- The Malibu Beach Inn Oceanfront rooms just a few minutes walk from Malibu Pier. There is a great spa at the hotel, where you and your girlfriends can relax and get pampered.
Palm Springs is an excellent place for a getaway and city break for you and your girls. Lounging by the pool, relaxing in a spa or going on a shopping spree. Surrounded by mountains and in the vicinity of Los Angeles and San Diego, Palm Springs is perfect for a weekend escape!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Palm Springs
- Ride the gondola via the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway and enjoy the view looking out over Coachella Valley. Once you reach the top you can hike various trails, all of them quite easy and flat
- Hike to a waterfall oasis at Tahquitz Canyon
- Take a sunset jeep tour to San Andreas Canyon
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Palm Springs
There are so many great AirBnBs in Palm Springs. You can pick anything from colorful retro houses, to luxury retreats, and even an all pink flamingo rental perfect for a bachelorette party!
We’ve highlighted some of our absolute favorite AirBnB options in our Palm Springs AirBnB guide so be sure to take a look to find a perfect place for you and your girls!
If a hotel is more your style, then here are our favourite places to stay:
- Les Cactus (pictured below): Described as your dreamy desert getaway! This hotel is beautifully decorated, with every corner full of retro details. Located only a five-minute drive away from downtown Palm Springs, this is the perfect spot for your next girls getaway.
- La Serena Villas – Adults only hotel with mountain views, gorgeous outdoor pool and all the best Palm Spring bars and restaurants right on your doorstep.
- ARRIVE Palm Springs – This hotel has an incredible atmosphere and the pool is the perfect place to relax and chill with your girls!
- La Maison Hotel – Poolside Hot tub and only 5 miles from Indian Canyon hiking trails, ideal for Girls looking to get active!
- Desert Riviera Hotel – Oozing 1950’s decor and an outdoor heated pool, you simply can’t go wrong with this one.
- Related Post: Instagram Guide To Palm Springs, California
Death Valley National Park
California has no shortage of beautiful national parks, but a truly special and quirky one that you must check out is Death Valley National Park.
After a mere 24-hour visit to this strange place in the northern Mojave Desert with its harsh desert climate, unique history, and varying topography, it makes for a truly unique Girls Getaway.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Death Valley National Park
- Explore Badwater Basin, the lowest point in North America
- Overlook Death Valley from Dante’s View
- Sandboard in the Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes
- Bonus Tip: If your girls getaway is to Las Vegas you can book a day tour to Death Valley from the city so you get two getaways destinations instead of just one!
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Death Valley National Park
- Best Western Pahrump Oasis – Located an hour away from Death Valley National Park with a hot tub and two pools. This hotel has all the amenities to relax after a day of exploring.
- The Inn at Death Valley – Stay within Death Valley National Park itself for a memorable stay with your girls!
- The Ranch at Death Valley – This hotel has its very own bar, terrace, outdoor pool and a tennis court.
Santa Monica and Venice
Santa Monica and Venice might be some of the most well-known places in all of California. Thanks to TV shows and pop culture references, these trendy areas are worth a visit.
Visit some of the trendy rooftop bars and restaurants in Santa Monica’s nicest hotels overlooking the water, or spend a day having fun at the Santa Monica Pier.
Santa Monica also has some world class AirBnBs and we’ve rounded up all of our favorites. Whether you are traveling as a couple, a family, or for a girls getaway group, you can find a perfect place to stay in Santa Monica!
Head to Venice to meet free-spirited art lovers, street performers, skaters and exercise fanatics working out at Muscle Beach’s outdoor gym. Stroll the boardwalk or explore the many funky shops – you won’t get bored here!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Santa Monica and Venice
- Stroll along the boardwalk and Santa Monica Pier, then head out on electric bikes to discover Venice!
- Wander around the Venice canals and discover the quieter side of Venice
- Take part in a group surfing lesson right on Venice beach!
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Santa Monica and Venice
- The 9 Best AirBnBs in Santa Monica
- Santa Monica Proper Hotel – This hotel has perfect complimented its 1920s architecture whilst seamlessly integrating modern touches that make this hotel classically timeless. With a rooftop pool and celebrity chef restaurants, this hotel is everything and more for the ideal girls’ getaway!
- The Georgian Hotel – Full of quaint charm and with Santa Monica Pier only a 10-minute walk away, all the best of Santa Monica is on your doorstep.
- Shore Hotel – This eco friendly hotel is near restaurants and bars allowing you to experience Santa Monica by foot.
Considered one of the jewels along the famous Highway 1, Santa Barbara sits right at the Pacific ocean with Santa Ynez mountains making for a dramatic backdrop.
The city has a Spanish colonial heritage, which is reflected in the many Mediterranean-style white stucco buildings with red-tile roofs downtown.
Browse upscale boutiques and enjoy fresh seafood and local wine at one of the many restaurants along the boardwalk or in the city.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Santa Barbara
- Go wine tasting along the cities Urban Wine Trail
- Board a sunset cruise or a sunset kayak tour
- Go horseback riding on the beach
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Santa Barbara
- The Wayfarer My personal favourite hotel. This is a fun young hotel that also offers guided beer crawls and an excellent shared kitchen so you can save some money by cooking for yourself.
- Spanish Garden Inn – Each room has a private balcony or garden patio, upscale toiletries and a large bathtub. The ideal hotel for a relaxing getaway with your girls.
- Hideaway Santa Barbara – Located near to two fantastic beaches, this hotel is perfect for girls looking to for a beach day.
Set in a valley surrounded by Topatopa Mountains, Ojai is a popular recreational area with a village-like town center.
Full of art galleries, Ojai is a tourism destination known for hiking, spiritual retreats and its farmers’ market of local agriculture. Home of the biggest olive oil orchard in Southern California and lots of vineyards, Ojai has lots of cultural (and tasty) offerings.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Ojai
- Explore art galleries in downtown Ojai and follow this up with some wine tasting
- Kayak on Lake Casitas
- Spend the morning doing a yoga session, then rent bikes to see all of Ojai’s beauty in the afternoon and hike up to Meditation mount to watch the sunset
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Ojai
- Ojai Valley Inn – Surrounded by hills and mountains, this hotel is a great choice to connect with nature. Spend a day with your girls relaxing in the full service spa.
- Ojai Rancho Inn – My personal favourite place to stay as it is affordable, quaint and has hot tubs in the bedrooms! Plus, there is a large swimming pool, a cosy bar and an outdoor area with a fire pit to toast some marshmallows and enjoy an evening with your girlfriends.
- Su Nido Inn – This hotel has a very cosy feel. A quaint courtyard with a beautiful fountain and walking distance to good shops and restaurants.
- The Emerald Iguana Inn – A absolutely stunning hotel! A stay here is one for the memory book. Everything about this hotel is simply beautiful.
Napa and Healdsburg
Girls’ trips and wine go together like California and good weather – a non-negotiable. That’s why Napa and Sonoma Valley are a hugely popular area for girls getaways, and for good reason.
Sipping delicious local wines from the never-ending wineries while looking out over the valley’s rolling hills is something so peaceful and beautiful to experience with your group. If you have had your fill of wine, there are plenty of other things to do in Napa as well!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Napa and Healdsburg
- Discover Oxbow Public Market
- Take a once in a lifetime flight and board a hot air balloon to see this beautiful part of California from the sky!
- All aboard Napa Valley’s wine train, taking you to some of Napa’s best wineries
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Napa and Healdsburg
- Hotel Les Mars – This hotel is absolutely exquisite. The design is so luxurious and walking distance to the best restaurants and bars.
- Hotel Napa Valley, Ascend Hotel Collection – Fireplaces take pride of place in every room and only 15 minutes walk to Napa Valley wine train!
- Milliken Creek Inn & Spa – This adults only hotel is nestled between multiple wineries, perfect for girls weekend away.
Driving on Highway 1 is a bucket-list item for many, and it is not hard to see why. Beautiful coastline views on one side, rugged mountains on the other.
One of the most beautiful stretches on Highway 1 with steep seaside cliffs and winding turns is around Big Sur. Though sparsely populated, the area makes for excellent camping and hiking opportunities.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Big Sur
- Visit Piedra Blancas elephant seal rookery
- Hike to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park to see the McWay Falls
- Grab some local wine and book a luxury glamping experience with your girls for a night or two
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Big Sur
- The 6 Best AirBnBs in Big Sur, California
- Fernwood Resort This is my favourite spot since you can choose between motel rooms (with hot tubs on the balcony), adventure tents (think a comfy glamping experience) and forest cabins – so there is something for everyone in your group. There is also an onsite shop and cosy bar and restaurant.
- Ventana Big Sur, An Alila Resort – Situated on the hillside with breathtaking views of the pacific coastline, this adults only hotel is simply perfect.
- Big Sur Lodge – With direct access to hiking and trails, the location is just ideal.
San Francisco is considered one of the most beautiful cities in North America. Its vast mix of things to do makes it suitable for everyone.
The hilly neighbourhoods and lots of classic American sightseeing spots like Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge or the Painted Ladies (made popular by TV show Full House) make it an excellent city for exploring.
We’ve also rounded up some of our absolute favorite AirBnBs you can book in San Francisco for your getaway!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In San Francisco
- Play tourist by joining a hop-on/hop-off bus tour. I personally thought this was such a great way to get around SF, we had hired a car but parking is expensive and we didn’t want to bother with that around the city. Plus taking the bus meant we could stop for a glass of rose at each stop!
- Take in city views by taking a daytime or twilight cruise through San Francisco Bay
- Free your inner child and go to House of Air, an adult-only trampoline park after 6 pm
Our Favourite Places To Stay In San Francisco
- The Best AirBnBs in San Francisco
- Grand Hyatt at SFO – With easy access to the airport this is a perfect location if you are flying in for a weekend.
- Hotel Via – This hotel has a beautiful rooftop bar with 360 views of Oracle Park, perfect for those wishing to catch a basketball game.
- Hotel Drisco – Did you say complimentary cheese and wine?! With a daily cheese and wine reception in the evening how could you not stay here.
Related Post: 10 Awesome San Francisco Experiences
Orange County – Newport Beach and Laguna Beach
Often considered the heart of Southern California, Orange County is home to several reality TV shows, Disneyland and miles of sand along the coastline. Newport and Laguna Beach, in particular, are excellent for relaxing beach days and a huge selection of resorts to make your spa vacation complete.
My husband lived in Newport Beach for a few years and we loved spending days at the beach, on the peninsula and wandering around Balboa Island.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Newport Beach and Laguna Beach
- Take a surfing class at Newport Beach or hire paddleboards
- Hire a Duffy for the day and take a picnic and some bottles of prosecco for the perfect day on the water
- Explore Crystal Cove State Park with its sloping hills and inland canyons
- Bonus Tips: Shop at Fashion Island, enjoy a bottomless brunch at Woodys or American Junkie on the peninsula, stroll around Balboa Island and hit the beach to watch surfers surf The Wedge, go on a whale-watching cruise.
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Newport Beach/Laguna Beach
- Surf and Sand Resort This is my favourite hotel in Laguna Beach. The interiors of the rooms are beautiful and you are situated overlooking the beach and can catch the most beautiful sunsets.
- Balboa Bay Resort – Offering stunning bay views and world class service the Balboa is always a good choice.
- Inn at Laguna Beach – This hotel sits on a cliff overlooking the sea and has a daily wine reception, sip on a glass of wine admiring the views with your girls!
Known for its pristine beaches, parks and perfect weather year-round, San Diego has something to offer for everyone.
Whether you feel like a quiet beach getaway, nights out dancing, or going on one of the many beautiful hiking trails, the choice is yours. Close to both Los Angeles and the Mexican border, San Diego is the perfect quick getaway for you and your girls.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In San Diego
- Explore the Gaslamp Quarter, known for its many wining and dining options.
- Visit Belmont Park’s historic, 95-year old amusement park. Head to the Tiki bars, fire pits, cabanas and take a ride on a classic wooden little dipper!
- Spend the day out on the water on a whale watching cruise
Our Favourite Places To Stay In San Diego
- Pendry San Diego – A exceptionally gorgeous choice to stay right in the heart of San Diego.
- Moxy San Diego Gaslamp Quarter – Located in Downtown San Diego a great choice for easy access to the best bars and restaurants.
- Omni San Diego Hotel – This hotel has an incredible on-site restaurant specialising in steak and seafood in a incredible atmosphere, perfect for an indulgent getaway.
Unlike some of the other getaways mentioned, Avila Beach is a rather small beach town and perfect for a rejuvenating trip away.
Located on the coast of California, it is right off Highway 1, about an hour north of Santa Barbara.
Similar to other Californian getaways destinations, you will find plenty of activities around hiking and vineyards here.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Avila Beach
- Hike or bicycle the Bob Jones City To Sea Trail
- Soak in the Avila Hot Springs! The naturally warm mineral water is the perfect way to relax. There is also a on site spa for the ultimate relaxing girls’ getaway.
- Spend the afternoon at Kelsey See Canyon Vineyards where you can listen to live music, enjoy wine flights and play corn hole
- Bonus Tip: Head to Avila Valley Barn to buy fresh fruits, vegetables, bread, cakes and more for your girls getaway weekend and then use these for a picnic on the beach at the end of the Bob Jones City to Sea trail.
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Avila Beach
- The 7 Best AirBnBs in Avila Beach
- Sycamore Mineral Springs I loved this hotel, especially since we booked a room with a hot tub on the terrace! You can also book one of the hillside hot tubs or hire the Oasis Waterfall Lagoon for your group to enjoy in private.
- Avila La Fonda Hotel – Cosy rooms each with a beautiful fireplace and freshly baked pastry each morning, its time to indulge and renew with your girls!
Big Bear & Lake Arrowhead
Big Bear Lake is a small city in Southern California and sits next to – you guessed it – Big Bear Lake. With plenty of cozy lodges surrounded by mountains, this area is perfect for a nature and wilderness adventure retreat.
Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead are a quick 30-45 minute drive from each other through the beautiful mountain roads, so you can stay at one and easily visit the other.
Big Bear is slightly larger with more amenities and a larger town, where Lake Arrowhead is a bit quieter, but both have some wonderful places to stay and nature activities to do!
Learn how to ski or snowboard at Bear Mountain ski resort, or go to Lake Arrowhead’s yearly Oktoberfest celebration!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Big Bear
- Fasten up and go ziplining with Action Tours California
- Explore the cozy Big Bear Lake Village
- Rent ATV’s and zoom around Big Bear Lake
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead
These mountain towns are home to some of the best AirBnB rentals in the country! You can choose from tiny secluded cabins, large A-Frames, or even entire mountain retreats!
If a traditional lodge or hotel is more your style, then check out:
- Big Bear Frontier – A beautiful resort with the choice of cabins or hotel rooms stretching from the edge of lake Big Bear up to Big Bear Boulevard.
- Oak Knoll Lodge – This hotel is nestled under the trees on secluded Forest Land and is the perfect getaway where nature meets luxury with Jacuzzi cabins and a main pool all within the woodland.
- Hillcrest Lodge – Located in the Aspen Gem park area Hillcrest Lodge is only half-mile from Big Bear Marina and the village. With excellent hikes and bike trials on your door step and a variety of rooms available to suit all your needs.
Yosemite National Park is a breathtakingly beautiful area in the Sierra Nevada mountains.
Famed for free climbing the granite cliffs of El Capitan and Half Dome, Yosemite is a paradise for thrill seekers. If risking your life isn’t your thing, Yosemite village has plenty of shops, restaurants, art galleries and a museum to keep you and your girls busy.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Yosemite
- Rent bikes to explore all of Yosemite’s beauty
- Discover the best of Yosemite on a small group tour. Experience Tunnel view, Yosemite’s most iconic view point, and the gorgeous cascading waterfalls and so much more on this guided tour.
- Climb Half Dome
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Yosemite
- A Bed of Roses – This hotel is located only ten minutes away from Yosemite National Park and a seasonal outdoor pool, this is perfect for a weekend of exploring!
- Yosemite Lodging at Big Creek Inn B&B – Located at 5000ft on the bank of Big Creek every room has incredible unobstructive views.
- McCaffrey House Bed and Breakfast Inn – This is the perfect place to do as much or as little as you wish. With incredible hiking paths right on your doorstep or relax in the beautiful gardens.
Halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, Paso Robles is known for its wineries and olive groves.
Located in Central California, Paso Robles makes a good alternative to Napa and Sonoma Valley’s vineyards. It doesn’t only have a ravishing wine scene, but also have great craft beer and cider tastings!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Paso Robles
- Head out on a wine tasting tour to learn about the local Paso Robles wine and enjoy a day filled with generous amounts of wine!
- Go olive oil tasting at Alta Cresta
- Visit Ravine waterpark
Our Favourite Places To Stay In Paso Robles
- Inn Paradiso – Located a minute away from the centre of Paso Robles and nestled amid ancient oak trees. This hotel has an elegant rustic feel with handcrafted wood and hand-forged metal. Take in the spectacular sunsets and bright stars at night.
- Allegretto Vineyard Resort Paso Robles – Grand European style resort surrounded by vineyards. The only resort in town with a winetasting room, sample some of Paso Robles’s best award-winning wines. Cello Ristorante and Bar serving Mediterranean-inspired rustic Northern Italian cuisine.
- CaliPaso Winery & Villa – A elegant Tuscan-style guesthouse providing luxury and comfort situated in Paso Robles, surrounded by vineyards, luxury rooms with private balconies with spectacular views over the rolling hills.
Bonus! Best of Everything – Highway 1 Roadtrip
Driving on Highway 1 is an unforgettable road trip one should take at least once in their lifetime. A popular route connecting Los Angeles and San Francisco, this road trip is filled with beautiful coastline views of the Pacific on one side, rugged mountains and small oceanside towns on the other.
While Highway 1 and the 101 freeway connect the entire west coast from Seattle all the way down to San Diego, most people only drive the part from Los Angeles to San Francisco. There is a direct interstate route (which would take about 5.5 hours), but the scenic route should be a no-brainer.
Since the scenic route involves winding your way down the coast, the total driving time is closer to 14 hours, taking in considering all planned and unplanned stops, so plan around 5-7 days for this road trip.
It is up to you where you start but do keep in mind that if you’re heading north, the ocean will be on your left side. If you’re heading south, it will be on your right side.
Stops you should definitely make are Santa Cruz, Monterey, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara, and Malibu. There will be plenty more on the way, so pull over and plan a few extra hours to hike and explore!
While this area offers excellent camping sites, there are also a variety of great hotels available all along the route.
Places To Stay:
- Inn at the Pier – This hotel has its own hot tub and is right on the beach front with access to the pier.
- Heritage House Resort & Spa – Located in Little River, with an awesome location near the light house and the beach, each room feels cosy with the added addition of a fireplace.
- Omni La Costa Resort & Spa – Nestled away in 400 acres of San Diego countryside, this beautiful hotel has a full service spa and all the luxury amenities.
For more in-depth details of this road trip, have a read of our Highway 1 Road Trip article.
We hope that this article has inspired you to go on a California Girls Getaway! If you have any questions or have your own travel tips to share please leave these in the comments below.
Do you want to share your own travel tips by guest writing for We Are Travel Girls? Please visit our Contribute page for guidelines and to submit your article.
Pin For Later
This website is a free resource we may use affiliate links in our articles. Please see our Disclosures for more information.