Newport is a coastal city on Aquidneck Island within Rhode Island. Surrounded by water on all sides, this city is well known for its culinary flair and rich sailing history. With a population of just over 25,000, Newport has become a famous New England summer paradise.
Newport is often called the Sailing Capital of the World and is also well known for its golf courses, cycling and tennis. With beautiful beaches, plenty of outdoor activities, excellent restaurants, and fun bars, Newport is the perfect destination for a girl’s getaway.
Here’s our ultimate girls’ getaway guide to Newport, Rhode Island, with all the tips you need to plan an unforgettable girls’ getaway!
Things To Do In Newport, Rhode Island On A Girls’ Getaway
There’s so much to see and do in Newport, Rhode Island, with its town and rich history, scenic coastline, and incredible mansions.
Originally a shipbuilding port, this city is considered by many as the world’s sailing capital, hosting America’s Cup for over 50 years. The city boasts colonial-era architecture, vibrant art & culture, stunning beaches, fabulous boutiques and fresh seafood.
Here are ten fun things to do in Newport on a girls’ getaway!
1) Take A Walk Along the 3.5 Mile Cliff Walk
Cliff Walk is a famous 3.5-mile walk along the iconic coastal trail. The walk is relaxing and serene, with crashing waves below and iconic viewpoints.
2) Spend Some Time Downtown
Downtown Newport has cobblestone paths, local boutiques, galleries and award-winning dining locations. This is a great place to explore the city with your girls, stopping to find unique purchases and try some incredible food.
3) Visit A Winery Or Brewery
One of the most famous vineyards in the city is Newport Vineyards. This 60-acre vineyard was established in 1977 and produces award-winning wine still today.
Another great vineyard is the Greenvale Vineyards, which includes the opportunity to go on a wine tour.
4) Explore A State Park
Brenton Point State Park is a great place to fly a kite and admire the views of the Atlantic Ocean and Narragansett Bay.
Eisenhower House was once the summer White House, with President Eisenhower visiting every summer. Today, you and your girls can explore the stately mansion and take in the views of Newport Harbor and Narragansett.
5) Relax On A Beach
Rhode Island is only 37 miles wide and 48 miles long but boasts almost 400 miles of incredible coastline.
Some incredible beaches to relax and enjoy are Gooseberry Beach, Mackerel Cove, Easton’s Beach, Sachuest Beach and King Park Beach. These beaches are also a great place to go surfing or try surfing for the first time with your girls.
6) Try Clam Chowder
Rhode Island is well known for its clam chowder, with the clear clam chowder originating along the southern coast of Rhode Island. While staying in Newport, you and your girls can enjoy clam chowder and lobster rolls.
7) Visit A Festival
Newport plays host to numerous festivals throughout the year; some more notable ones are the International Boat Show (September), Newport Daffodil Days Festival (April), Newport Folk (July) and Jazz Festivals (August), The Newport Flower Show (June) and the Newport Classical Music Festival (July).
8) Take A Drive or Bike Down Ocean Drive
Ocean Drive spans a 5-mile distance, showcasing some of Rhode Island’s most breathtaking coastlines. It is accessible to the public, free of charge. You can take a car or ride a bike along the route to appreciate the awe-inspiring views.
9) Cruise Around The Harbor
A trip to Newport isn’t complete without getting out on the water. You can take a Harbor Shuttle with hop-off and hop-on access to Perrotti Park, the Lobster Bar at Bowen’s Wharf, Ann Street Pier, Fort Adams, and Goat Island.
10) Visit Fort Adams State Park
This coastal fortress is the largest in the United States, constructed between 1824 and 1857 and remained active throughout World War II. This is a great place to walk around, learn about the area’s history, and enjoy stunning views of Narragansett Bay.
Best Tours To Take In Newport For A Girls’ Getaway
Newport offers a variety of enjoyable tours perfect for exploring the area, taking to the water and visiting historic landmarks. For a girl’s getaway, here are six great options:
- Discover Newport on a trolley tour. You will see the historic downtown, Newport Waterfront, Ten-Mile Ocean Drive, and Bellevue Avenue Mansion Area.
- Jump aboard the Coastal Queen on a scenic bay cruise to enjoy breathtaking views of New England, including historic churches, lighthouses, harbor estates, the Jamestown shoreline, and Newport Harbor.
- Experience a 75-minute sunset boat tour along the Newport Harbor coastline and enjoy a complimentary drink.
- Enjoy a morning mimosa while taking in the stunning views of Newport Harbor and Lower Narragansett Bay aboard a mimosa cruise.
- Take a self-guided narrated walking tour of Newport’s Cliff Walk and admire the raw, untamed waves of the Atlantic Ocean and the elegant Gilded Age mansions along the coast.
- Experience Newport’s historic streets and fresh cuisine on a food tour led by locals exploring five local restaurants.
Best Hotels In Newport For A Girls’ Getaway
Newport has many hotel options, from mansions to harbor-front apartments with great views and historic houses. There is an accommodation option for every girl gang in Newport.
Here are 10 of the best hotels to stay at during your Newport girls’ getaway:
- The Newport Harbor Hotel and Marina – Located on America’s Cup Avenue and within walking distance of Cliff Walk and local attractions. It is located on the city’s waterfront area with walkable restaurant options.
- The Pell – This hotel has 127 rooms with options including two queen rooms and king bed options. The hotel is close to Easton’s Beach and Touro Synagogue, with a coffee shop and a bar.
- Hotel Viking – With 208 rooms, this hotel features a swimming pool, a breakfast option, a terrace, a fire pit, and a coffee shop. Located close to the beach, this hotel is within walking distance of pubs and restaurants.
- Hamilton Hoppin House – This 3-star hotel is located in Middletown and close to historic landmarks such as Ocean Drive Historic District and the Naval War College Museum.
- Hammetts Hotel – Located within the shopping district, this hotel has a terrace, a bar, and a gym. The hotel boasts 84 rooms with ocean views and an al fresco dining option.
- Americas Cup Inn – With 17 individually furnished rooms, this hotel has traditional apartments and king and queen rooms. This hotel is also located within walking distance of restaurants and shopping options.
- Atlantic Beach Hotel Newport – Located in Middletown, this hotel is in the suburbs close to the beach. Despite its remote location, this hotel is within walking distance of restaurants and beautiful beaches. The hotel also has an indoor swimming pool parking and a cooked-to-order breakfast.
- Newport Bay Club and Hotel – Located within the Yachting Village, this hotel has self-parking, a terrace, and 36 rooms with premium comforts. A short one-minute walk from the hotel will have guests in Newport Harbor or Thames Street.
- Newport Marriott Hotel and Spa – With 317 rooms, this large hotel has premium comforts, an indoor swimming pool, a buffet breakfast, a hair salon, a terrace, a spa and two onsite restaurants.
- Serenity Inn Newport – Located near the beach, this hotel is walkable to Newport with excellent shopping and nightlife options. This small hotel only has 12 rooms, but each is furnished to a high quality and boasts luxury amenities.
Best Villas In Newport For A Girls’ Getaway
If you are looking for a more affordable high-end rental or somewhere where all your girls can relax together on your Newport girls’ getaway, here are ten top-rated luxury villas that are less pricey but still have all the required amenities for an incredible stay:
- Downtown Newport Penthouse – 2 bedroom / 1 bath / Sleeps 6
- Downtown Thames Street Apartment – 2 bedroom / 1 bath / Sleeps 6
- Sunsets Over Newport Harbor Loft – 3 bedroom / 3 bath / Sleeps 6
- 3 Miles to the Beach Townhouse – 3 bedrooms / 3 bath / Sleeps 6
- Newly Remodeled Home – 3 bedrooms / 2 bath / Sleeps 7
- Middletown Home – 2 bedrooms / 2 bath / Sleeps 10
- High-End New Construction Home – 5 bedrooms / 4 bath / Sleeps 10
- Summer Oasis – 4 bedrooms / 2 bath / Sleeps 7
- Upscale House in South Kingstown – 4 bedrooms / 3 bath / Sleeps 8
- The Wakefield – 8 bedrooms / 5 bath / Sleeps 21
Best Dinner Spots In Newport
Being a coastal oasis, abundant fresh seafood is a given. Here, you can pick the catch of the day, knowing that it has just been taken out of the sea. Along with that, you will find a variety of classics as well as Cali-Mex cuisine and French flare. It’s an ideal location to satisfy your cravings for seafood, combined with an international influence.
Here are ten of the best dinner restaurants in Newport:
- Diego’s Newport – A relaxed and casual restaurant located at Bowen’s Wharf, Diego’s takes you on a journey to the West Coast with their California-style Mexican cuisine and signature cocktails. With a vast menu of street tacos, appetizers, larger plates, and shareables, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
- The Fifth Element – The sleek industrial vibe of this bustling grill, bar, and beer garden right on Thames Street is unique to the area, with a brunch menu and dinner and happy hour.
- Giusto Newport – As a “freestyle Italian” restaurant, the ingredients often break the rules. We recommend trying the tasting menu if you’re looking for a budget-friendly way to experience the restaurant’s full bounty.
- Jo’s American Bistro – This restaurant provides a classy yet casual take on American cuisine, with fan favorites such as clam chowder and lobster bisque.
- Bar and Board – Bar and Board is located on Thames Street in Newport, and they specialize in customizable charcuterie boards, fresh oysters and seasonal cocktails made from sustainable ingredients.
- Brick and Alley Pub – Located on Thames Street, it is a popular and iconic landmark in Newport. It has been voted the “Best Restaurant” and “Best Bar” in the city. The pub-style restaurant is known for its award-winning seafood, juicy steaks, and other comforting dishes. The extensive menu is complemented by an impressive selection of over 25 beers on tap, cocktails and wines.
- The Mooring Seafood Kitchen and Bar – Located right on the seafront, this restaurant provides incredible harbor views, especially at sunset. A patio table is highly recommended, as is a reservation.
- Pasta Beach – This authentically Italian restaurant is located on Bellevue Avenue. They have two locations in Newport and serve pasta, pizza, calzones, paninis, and more dishes.
- Clarke Cooke House – A restaurant that has won awards, serving New England specialties along the beautiful waterfront of Newport.
- The Fastnet Pub – The Fastnet is one of the oldest pubs in the city, which gives it the atmosphere of old Newport. You can sit at the bar, a booth, or one of the high-top tables and enjoy delicious dishes such as fish and chips, bangers, or curry fries.
Best Nightlife Spots In Newport
Despite its size, Newport has plenty of bars and nightlife options for your girls. Newport has something for every girl’s getaway if your girls are into lively nightlife options of just a relaxing evening drinking a cocktail on a rooftop bar.
Here are ten of the best nightlife spots in Newport:
- Christie’s – A retro-inspired space with swinging chairs, outdoor seating, a large communal table, and a fun atmosphere for everyone to eat, drink and relax.
- Top of Newport – Experience stunning views of Narragansett Bay and Bellevue Avenue from Top of Newport, Hotel Viking’s rooftop bar, embodying Newport’s elegant beach atmosphere.
- White Horse Tavern – I highly recommend checking out the oldest bar in the U.S. Their slogan is, “Serving farm to the table since 1673,” and offer fresh oysters from their raw bar and various beers. It’s worth a visit!
- Smugglers – The bar is lively and offers stunning views of the waterfront. We have pool tables and dartboards available for your entertainment.
- Newport Blues Cafe – Considered by many locals as the best live music scene in the heart of downtown, this is a visit for music lovers.
- The Rooftop Deck at The Vanderbilt – Experience the allure of Newport’s best rooftop destination while savoring our handcrafted cocktails and fresh Rhode Island oysters with stunning views of Newport Harbor this summer.
- The Lawn At Castle Hill Inn – Situated within a luxurious hotel and estate, right on Ocean Drive, this bar offers you the perfect opportunity to enjoy your drinks while taking in the sensational views of the bay and Newport Bridge from the iconic lawn. You can relish the sea breeze and watch boats sail by, making it the ideal spot for a memorable experience.
- The Lobster Bar – The Lobster Bar is located at the end of Bowen’s Wharf in Newport, offering breathtaking harbor views. It is an ideal location to savor drinks, relish a lobster roll and witness the sunset.
- Pour Judgement – This small dive bar has a fantastic ambiance, especially on weekends. Although it may seem rough around the edges, it only adds to its character. With live music, delicious food, potent drinks, and welcoming staff, this place is a popular destination for locals and tourists.
- The Black Pearl – Bannister’s Wharf boasts a historic gem of a bar that has been around since 1920. It is situated right on the waterfront, offering a spectacular harbor view. You can enjoy a refreshing drink while relaxing on the open-air patio and watching the boats come and go.
How To Get To Newport, Rhode Island
One of the things that makes Newport an ideal destination for a girls’ getaway is that it is easily accessible by direct flight and close to numerous cities around the United States.
Newport can be accessed via either Boston or New York City, with major airports and accessible driving routes. New York is three hours from Newport, while Boston is just one hour away.
The nearest airport to Newport is Providence (PVD) Airport, just 17.6 miles away. Other airports nearby include Westerly (WST) (26 miles), Block Island (BID) (26.5 miles), Martha’s Vineyard (MVY) (37.2 miles) and Boston (BOS) (62.8 miles). These airports have access to other domestic cities around the United States.
Best Time To Visit Newport, Rhode Island
Newport is a great city to visit for a girl’s getaway year-round. There isn’t a wrong time to visit Newport.
The best time to visit Newport for cooler temperatures is outside the high season, between March and May and September to November, with milder temperatures and less rain.
Newport Girls Getaway Guide Wrap Up
I hope you’ve found this Newport girls’ getaway guide helpful and you are now excited to visit this city with your girls!
If you have questions about Newport or tips for our readers, please leave these in the comments below! And suppose you’re interested in visiting other cities in the United States. In that case, you can check out all our Bachelorette party articles for inspiration or all our girls getaway guides for other trip ideas.
We hope that this article has inspired you to visit Newport, Rhode Island. If you have any questions or advice to share with our readers, please leave these in the comments below.
Want to share your own travel tips by guest writing for We Are Travel Girls? Please visit our Contribute Page for guidelines and to submit your article.
Read More About Girls Getaways
- The 10 Best Mexico Girls Getaways
- 20 Best Fall Girls Getaways In The USA
- 17 Best California Girls Getaways
- The Ultimate Girls Getaway Guide To Wilmington
- St Barts Ultimate Girls Getaway Guide
Pin For Later
This article may contain affiliate links, if you purchase something using one of our links we may receive a commission. Please see our Disclosures for more information.