Girls Getaways happen all year round, but one of our favourite times of year to go on a girls getaway is in winter. And there is nothing quite like a weekend getaway in the United States with your girlfriends during the coldest season of the year!
Think of days skiing or snowboarding on the slopes, drinking champagne at aprés, relaxing in spas, hiking, exploring cities, shopping, and attending events.
With so many fabulous winter girls getaway destinations to choose from, in this article, we round up our top 12 girls getaway destinations in the US to get you excited for a weekend away with girlfriends!
1) Big Bear
Big Bear, California is a great winter girls getaway destination in the heart of the mountains, but close enough to Los Angeles that you could surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon!
During the festive and winter months this area is covered with snow and is the perfect place to enjoy a cosy winter girls getaway.
There are plenty of activities to do in Big Bear, including skiing or snowboarding at two mountain resorts, relaxing at a spa, taking a snowshoe trek, hiking, flying over the area in a helicopter, visiting the Alpine Slide at Magic Mountain to bring out your inner child, or riding along on the zip wire.
To help you plan your perfect stay, we put together our own list of our favorite 6 AirBnBs in Big Bear, including log cabins, luxury retreats, and beautiful A-frames for your perfect weekend away!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Big Bear
- Visit and ski or snowboard at Snow Summit or Bear Mountain.
- Take a snowshoe trek along miles of trails and be surrounded by nature.
- Spend the day with your girlfriends relaxing at Elevations Day Spa.
Recommended Accommodation In Big Bear
- Big Bear Frontier – Walking distance to the village and lake this is a great place to explore Big Bear from.
- Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa – Located in a gorgeous lake setting, pool and steps away from the beach make this place a real gem!
- Blue Bear Lodge Cabin – A beautiful and modern cabin close to all the best spots in Big Bear.
- Find more AirBnBs in Big Bear
2) New York City
New York City is a great year-round girls getaway destination, but there is something about visiting the city in the winter.
The city comes alive with Christmas decorations, events, snow, and magic throughout December and is a wonderful place to be (as long as you don’t get snowed in!).
I took a girls’ trip to New York one January, spending 5 days in the city and then flying down to Utah to finish off the trip in Park City, for the Sundance Film Festival.
If you visit New York during the holiday period you can experience the huge Christmas tree at the Rockefeller Center, or the New Years’ Eve Ball Drop countdown from Times Square. Another great event is the Chinese New Year (January or February), with dragon dances, vibrant floats, and street celebrations.
Even outside this period winter is still a great time to visit New York with ice skating rinks, occasional snow on the ground, free fireplaces, spas, snow-covered trees, Winter Jazzfest, and many more activities.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In New York City
- New York City has a large number of events year-round such as New York Fashion Week, Winter Jazzfest, Chinese New Year, New Years’ Eve celebrations, the Orchid Show, Mardi Gras, Super Bowl Sunday, St. Patrick’s Day, and many more.
- Enjoy a cocktail or champagne at a rooftop bar or restaurant. Some of our favourites include Boom Boom Boom, Gallow Green at the McKittrick Hotel, La Piscine at Hotel Americano and Jimmy at the James. Read our New Yorker’s Guide to New York to get the lowdown on the best places to eat and drink in NYC.
- Do something really unique and head to the Museum of Ice Cream. This is a Willy Wonker factory come to life and you are guaranteed a day full of sweet treats and of course lots of ice cream.
Recommended Accommodation In New York City
- Artezen Hotel – This hotel is modern and fresh, it is centrally located. Each room has an espresso maker, perfect for those cold New York mornings.
- CitizenM New York Bowery – The rooms here might be slightly small, but that is more than made up for by the incredible views!
- Park Terrace Hotel on Bryant Park – Only a five-minute walk to Times Square this location couldn’t be any more perfect. The hotel itself is modern and bright and perfect for taking a stroll in Bryant Park.
- Read: Where To Stay In New York: The Best Neighbourhoods and Hotels
3) Lake Tahoe
Lake Tahoe is a large lake in the Sierra Nevada mountain range straddling California and Nevada.
It’s a popular destination in the summer months for spending time on the lake in boats, paddle boarding, or just relaxing on the shore. But it is also a great destination in the winter!
This area has 12 ski resorts with lots of mountain and sports activities to partake in.
If skiing isn’t your thing, Lake Tahoe is still a great girls’ getaway destination with luxury spas, the Heavenly gondola with panoramic views, snowshoe hiking destinations, the Olympic museum, ice skating, and cross-country skiing.
Imagine spending the day outside in the snow with your girls, then coming back to your private wooden chalet to sip some champagne or hot chocolate on the terrace with panoramic mountain views.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Lake Tahoe
- Go skiing or snowboarding or undertake other mountain activities in Squaw Valley or one of the 11 other ski resorts.
- Explore Emerald Lake on a sight-seeing cruise.
- Visit during February or March to experience Snowfest (10-day festival), with parties, polar plunge, live music, and more outdoor activities.
Recommended Accommodation In Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe Retreat – This incredible retreat sleeps up to eight people and has a private hot tub for those winter nights, perfect for relaxing after a day of skiing!
- Tahoma Cabin – A gorgeous cabin with stunning warm tones, cozy up next to the fire place or have a beverage in the steaming hot tub under the stars with your best girl friends.
- Find more AirBnBs in Lake Tahoe
4) Aspen, Colorado
No US winter girls getaway list would be complete without a ski or snowboard trip, and Colorado is one of the best ski spots in the world.
In Colorado, there are a large number of ski resorts ranging in size from large connected mountains to luxury ski-in ski-out resorts, two of our favourites are Aspen and nearby Snowmass. These two resorts have plenty of ski areas, with luxury resorts as well as affordable lodging available.
Aspen in particular has a ton of great AirBnB options that you can book for your entire group!
Every day you can hit the slopes, then relax with a glass of champagne, wine, or hot chocolate with the girls, followed by a massage or spa treatment.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Aspen, Colorado
- Visit a mountain resort or bar for aprés happy hour after your day on the mountain.
- Check the event calendar as they often hold ski and snowboard events and competitions including the X Games (not to be confused with the Hunger Games!)
- You can go tubing, ride the alpine coaster ride, go dog-sledding, or join a yoga class.
Recommended Accommodation In Aspen, Colorado
- Luxury Red Mountain Home – One for the Bucketlist! This holiday home is incredible, complete with a private terrace providing mountain views as far as you can see and a hot tub. The interior decor is decadent and the glass windows allow the outside in, cosy up with a blanket and take in the scenery.
- Historic Aspen Estate – A stunning choice with a large decking area with seating and tables, perfect for entertaining and alfresco dinners with your girl friends (you might need to wrap up warm but it is worth it). Experience a slice of history by staying in this gorgeous traditional home with all the modern features and warming touches.
- The Little Nell – This is a Ski in/Ski out hotel! Ideally located in the mountains for girls looking to hit the mountains for the weekend.
- Find AirBnBs in Aspen
5) Asheville, North Carolina
Asheville, North Carolina is a great winter girls getaway location with plenty of things to do including shopping, learning about the cities history, hiking, visiting wineries, spending time at a spa, or have a delicious long brunch.
Asheville is sometimes referred to as the Beer City of the USA, as it has several breweries and tasting rooms, with special and distinctive beers. They even have Pubcycles, where you can ride around the city sampling drinks!
Asheville has some great activities including The Spa at Grove Park Inn where you can swim, have a massage, and drink a glass of champagne in a robe by the fire pit.
There are also some amazing Airbnbs in Asheville you can book for you and your group for a trip or a bachelorette party!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Asheville, North Carolina
- Go shopping in Downtown Asheville with fine art, jewellery, and boutiques to explore.
- Spend the day at the Antler Hill Village and Winery to taste some of the finest wines.
- Go on a 2.5 electric bike tour of Asheville.
Recommended Accommodation In Asheville, North Carolina
- Pisgah Adventure Cottage – Perched right on the side of the river this cottage is near some of the adventure spots such as sliding rock and looking glass falls. This option provides complete seclusion for you and your girls yet within 10 minutes of the best restaurants and bars, ideal.
- Aloft Asheville Downtown – Loft style rooms with unbeatable mountain views! If a hotel in Asheville is what you are looking for this is an incredible choice. The rooms are quirky yet breathtaking.
- Mountain Retreat in a Ranch – This vacation rental is set in four acres of nature. It is the perfect balance of mountain retreat with modern amenities. The glass walls allow the nature in, but the decor is classic and warming.
6) Charleston, South Carolina
Charleston is the oldest and biggest city in South Carolina and has a distinctive charm, with colourful houses in 18th-century style, plantation houses, carriage rides, and brunches.
It is a picture-perfect location for a girls getaway and the perfect place to stock up on a month’s worth of Instagram content!
The city is a great place for a winter girls getaway, with plenty of activities that include visiting the 18th Century Charleston mansions, going shopping on King Street, and visiting one of Charleston’s many rooftop bars.
Charleston is the ultimate relaxing girls getaway destination with luxury day spas and a beautiful city with colourful buildings that you can spend the day getting lost in.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Charleston, South Carolina
- Visit or stay at The Vendue, a historic, colourful French Quarter boutique hotel with 18th-century style buildings.
- Have freshly made cocktails at The Cocktail Club.
- Relax at The Spa at The Belmond.
Recommended Accommodation In Charleston, South Carolina
- Old Village Charmer – Nested in the old village what says girl getaway more than a pink front door? This quirky but cute vacation home is the perfect spot to explore the old village and beaches.
- Beach Getaway Home – Sleeps up to 14 people, with a private pool, ping pong table, roof top terrace and a quick walk to the beach. Whether you choose to have a cocktail on the terrace or a winter walk on the beach, this holiday home is faultless.
- Soho Suite – Perfect for those who want to explore Charleston by foot, the interior design is bright and modern and perfect for a girls weekend away.
- Find more Airbnbs in Charleston
7) Park City, Utah
Park City is a great US winter girls getaways destination with a quaint town and historic main street district.
With plenty of activities including skiing or snowboarding at Park City Mountain or Deer Valley Resort, relaxing at a spa, riding the alpine coaster, hiking trails, exploring the town, and you can even visit the Utah Olympic Park.
Park City is home to the Sundance Film festival which is an annual film festival showcasing independent films and artists from all over the world (end of January, the start of February for 11 days).
Make sure to check out all of our favorite AirBnBs in Park City, including luxury condos and unique cabins!
If skiing isn’t your thing you can visit Salt Lake City on a day trip or stay there and visit Park City on a day trip. Salt Lake City has lots of wonderful historic buildings to explore and gardens.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Park City
- If you are in Park City during January or February you will be able to visit the Sundance Film Festival.
- Take a day trip to Salt Lake City and explore the city.
- Head out on a three-hour sight-seeing tour of Bryce Canyon.
Recommended Accommodation In Park City
- The Lodge at the Mountain Village – Direct access to the slopes make this perfect for relaxing after a day of hitting the slopes with your girls.
- Abode at the ridge in Deer Valley – A five minute to Deer Valley Resort means you can walk to the slopes! This rental also has a private hot tub and fireplaces making it a cozy spot to rest your feet with a glass of wine around the fire.
- Abode at Pinnacle – Hot tub and sauna makes this the perfect winter girls getaway vacation spot.
- Find more Airbnbs in Park City
Alaska might not be the first destination you think of when you think of US winter girls getaway but it has plenty of great unforgettable experiences to be had.
On a girls getaway in Alaska, there is plenty to do including glacier trekking, dog-sledding, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, ice fishing, fat bike tours, whale watching, hiking, aurora hunting and seaplane rides.
An alternate way to experience Alaska is on a girls getaway is to go on an Alaskan cruise (April to September), you can read more about an Alaskan cruise in our first timer’s guide to taking an Alaska cruise.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Alaska
- Take a once in a lifetime helicopter ride, land on the ice and learn all about the glaciers in this area. Alternatively, you can book a tour on one of the many seaplane experiences which will fly you over glaciers in the area.
- Go on a cruise to see the Alaskan glaciers up close
- Book a day tour on the and go back in time and jump on the Yukon train and experience life in this area during the goldrush
- Go to the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show
Recommended Accommodation In Alaska
- Gorgeous Cabin Style Home – Complete with a gorgeous fire pit, this four-level cabin style home is the perfect escape.
- The Inn at Whittier – This inn is very quaint, with views of the lake or mountains. This choice is ideal for a weekend away.
- Find more Airbnbs in Alaska
9) Yellowstone National Park / Jackson Hole
Yellowstone National Park is not just a summer destination is it also a great winter girls getaway destination with snowmobiling, exploding geysers, and frozen waterfalls.
While not as much of the National Park is open as it is in summer you can drive through a small section and take a guided tour through the other sections.
If Yellowstone National Park isn’t your thing you can visit nearby Jackson Hole, another great ski resort with luxury spas, great ski runs, and mountain activities.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Yellowstone National Park and Jackson Hole
- Take a tour of Yellowstone National Park and explore the nature, wildlife and exploding geysers.
- Feeling brave? Jump in a raft and head out on an 8 mile white water rafting experience from Jackson (sidenote, you might want to wait for the summer for this one!)
- Glamp in a luxury tent or a unique A-Frame cabin in Jackson Hole
Recommended Accommodation In Yellowstone National Park and Jackson Hole
- Luxury Mountain Escape – Minutes away from Yellowstone National Park and incredible interior design makes this an exceptional choice for your next getaway.
- Lazy Fox Lodge – Beautiful open plan living and close to the national park and lakes.
- The Village Green Lodge – This option is great for a large group. This lodge sleeps up to 27 people and comes with a fireplace, heated garage, ping pong, air hockey and volley ball!
- Find more Airbnbs near Yellowstone National Park
10) Sedona, Arizona
Sedona, Arizona is a small town but a hiker’s paradise. Sedona has ample hotels and restaurants, from Old West-style restaurants and wineries.
The landscape around Sedona is beautiful with a large variety of great hiking spots, including Broken Arrow hike, Cathedral Rock trail, Buddha Beach, Devi’s Bridge, and Centennial Trail. All these are beautiful hikes through canyons with great opportunities for photography.
Imagine this – spending the day or morning doing a hike through beautiful landscapes and spend the rest of the after at a winery or taking a wine tour at the various Sedona Wineries.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Sedona, Arizona
- Go on a hike to Broken Arrow, Cathedral Rock, Buddha Beach, and Devil’s Bridge.
- Watch the sunset from Centennial Trail, top tip – pack a picnic and prosecco and create your own magical girls getaway Instagram moment as the sun goes down or head out on a star gazing tour.
- Visit Cowboy Club Grille & Spirits for an Old West-style atmosphere restaurant.
Recommended Accommodation In Sedona, Arizona
- Hiking Trails Home – Set on incredible hiking trails and undisturbed views of Mystic Mountain from your rooftop terrace with a hot tub of course. This holiday home is iconic and an incredible way to relax with your girls after a day of hiking.
- Restful Refuge Vacation Rental – Complete with an upper deck offering expansive 360 views of Sedonas famous red rocks.
- Luxury Spa Home – The huge glass windows provide incredible views of the red rocks or enjoy the views from the heated pool or hot tub.
- Find more Airbnbs in Sedona
11) Bend, Oregon
Bend, Oregon is the perfect US winter girls getaway location with lots of winter activities to undertake in.
Bend has been hailed as one of the nicest towns in the country. It might not immediately spring to mind but it is firmly into our top 12!
Bend and the surrounding area have plenty of activities for a girls getaway including dog sledding, nordic skiing, skiing, snowboarding, snow blast tubing park, and snowshoeing on nearby Mt Bachelor.
You can also choose from some great Bend Airbnb options to book your own special cabin!
Other great winter activities include fat biking and hiking trails in The Oregon Badlands Wilderness.
Bend Oregon also has full-day spas for relaxing and happy hours in breweries. You can even go on a volcano tour where you will explore the shores of the sparkling Paulina Lake and pass a towering lava flow!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Bend, Oregon
- Visit a full day spa with some of the best massage therapists in the country.
- Happy Hour and tasting bar Dogwood Cocktail Cabin.
- Take part in a half-day tour of Newberry Volcano.
Recommended Accommodation In Bend, Oregon
- Caldera Springs Home – A flawless home with fire pit and plenty of outdoor space. Near to ski and snowboarding slopes this is a perfect choice for Bend.
- SCP Hotel Redman – This hotel is eco friendly and the new modern design compliments the beautiful historic features of the incredible original building.
- 5 Bedroom Luxury Home – A beautifully decorated holiday home perfect for a girls weekend away.
- Find more Airbnbs in Bend
12) Burlington, Vermont
Vermont is a great state for a winter girls getaway with several towns and cities to chose from with their own unique activities and experiences.
Stowe, Burlington, Montpelier, Rutland, Woodstock, Killington, and Manchester are all great cities for a girls getaway.
Burlington is the largest city in Vermont and has luxury spas and hotels with plenty of places for you and the girls to enjoy a great lunch, a spa treatment, time at the pool and perhaps finishing the day with a cocktail or two!
There are also a number of activities which you can undertake including hiking, nordic skiing, winter sports activities, skiing, rock climbing (summer), brunch, and bars.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Burlington, Vermont
- Visit a brewery and taste locally produced beers. Head out on this classic beer tour!
- Spend some time at a luxury spa for a day or afternoon of relaxing.
- Undertake winter snow sports activities.
Recommended Accommodation In Burlington, Vermont
- Hilton Burlington Lake Champlain – Rooms here have incredible views and are very elegant.
- Beautiful Burlington Lake home – This lake front home sleeps up to 10 people and is right on the beachfront with a firepit for those cold evenings.
- Green Mountain Suites Hotel – cozy rooms and an indoor pool make this a perfect choice for those wishing for a relaxing getaway.
- Find more Airbnbs in Burlington
Winter Girls Getaways Wrap Up
There you have it, our top 12 destinations for a fun winter girls getaway!
Was your favourite included in the list? Let us know your picks for the best US girls getaway destinations for winter!
We hope that this article has inspired you to go on a winter girls getaways. If you have any questions about the destination or have your own travel tips to share please leave these in the comments below.
Want to share your own travel tips by guest writing for We Are Travel Girls? Go to our Contribute page for guidelines and to submit your article.
Read More Girls Getaway Guides
- AirBnB Directory
- 15 Best California Girls Getaway Destinations
- Top 10 Winter Girls Getaways Destinations In Europe
- Ultimate Girls Getaways For 2021
Pin For Later
This website is a free resource we may use affiliate links in our articles. As an Airbnb Associate, I may earn a fee when you book from this page. Please see our Disclosures for more information.