Girls Getaways happen all year round, but one of our favourite times of year to go on a girls getaway is in winter. And there is nothing quite like a weekend getaway in the United States with your girlfriends during the coldest season of the year!
Think of days skiing or snowboarding on the slopes, drinking champagne at aprés, relaxing in spas, hiking, exploring cities, shopping, and attending events.
In 2020 we are planning more Travel Girls Getaways and we will be introducing new niche weekend getaways in destinations around the United States.
With so many fabulous winter girls getaway destinations to choose from, in this article, we round up our top 12 girls getaway destinations in the US to get you excited for a weekend away with girlfriends!
1) Big Bear
Big Bear, California is a great winter girls getaway destination in the heart of the mountains, but close enough to Los Angeles that you could surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon!
During the festive and winter months this area is covered with snow and is the perfect place to enjoy a cosy winter girls getaway.
There are plenty of activities to do in Big Bear, including skiing or snowboarding at two mountain resorts, relaxing at a spa, taking a snowshoe trek, hiking, flying over the area in a helicopter, visiting the Alpine Slide at Magic Mountain to bring out your inner child, or riding along on the zip wire.
To help you plan your perfect stay, we put together our own list of our favorite 6 AirBnBs in Big Bear, including log cabins, luxury retreats, and beautiful A-frames for your perfect weekend away!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Big Bear
- Visit and ski or snowboard at Snow Summit or Bear Mountain.
- Take a snowshoe trek along miles of trails and be surrounded by nature.
- Spend the day with your girlfriends relaxing at Elevations Day Spa.
Recommended Hotels In Big Bear
2) New York City
New York City is a great year-round girls getaway destination, but there is something about visiting the city in the winter. The city comes alive with Christmas decorations, events, snow, and magic throughout December and is a wonderful place to be (as long as you don’t get snowed in!).
I took a girls’ trip to New York one January, spending 5 days in the city and then flying down to Utah to finish off the trip in Park City, for the Sundance Film Festival.
If you visit New York during the holiday period you can experience the huge Christmas tree at the Rockefeller Center, or the New Years’ Eve Ball Drop countdown from Times Square. Another great event is the Chinese New Year (January or February), with dragon dances, vibrant floats, and street celebrations.
Even outside this period winter is still a great time to visit New York with ice skating rinks, occasional snow on the ground, free fireplaces, spas, snow-covered trees, Winter Jazzfest, and many more activities.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In New York City
- New York City has a large number of events year-round such as New York Fashion Week, Winter Jazzfest, Chinese New Year, New Years’ Eve celebrations, the Orchid Show, Mardi Gras, Super Bowl Sunday, St. Patrick’s Day, and many more.
- Enjoy a cocktail or champagne at a rooftop bar or restaurant. Some of our favourites include Boom Boom Boom, Gallow Green at the McKittrick Hotel, La Piscine at Hotel Americano and Jimmy at the James. Read our New Yorker’s Guide to New York to get the lowdown on the best places to eat and drink in NYC.
- Get your Carrie Bradshaw on and go shopping on 5th Avenue for a luxury shopping experience.
Recommended Hotels In New York City
- The Kimpton Muse Hotel
- Mandarin Oriental New York
- The Surrey
- Read: Where To Stay In New York: The Best Neighbourhoods and Hotels
3) Lake Tahoe
Lake Tahoe is a large lake in the Sierra Nevada mountain range straddling California and Nevada. It’s a popular destination in the summer months for spending time on the lake in boats, paddle boarding or just relaxing on the shore. But it is also a great destination in the winter!
This area has 12 ski resorts with lots of mountain and sports activities to partake in. If skiing isn’t your thing, Lake Tahoe is still a great girls’ getaway destination with luxury spas, the Heavenly gondola with panoramic views, snowshoe hiking destinations, the Olympic museum, ice skating, and cross-country skiing.
Imagine spending the day outside in the snow with your girls, then coming back to your private wooden chalet to sip some champagne or hot chocolate on the terrace with panoramic mountain views.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Lake Tahoe
- Go skiing or snowboarding or undertake other mountain activities in Squaw Valley or one of the 11 other ski resorts.
- Take a morning or day snowshoe hiking and explore Emerald Bay.
- Visit during February or March to experience Snowfest (10-day festival), with parties, polar plunge, live music, and more outdoor activities.
Recommended Hotels In Lake Tahoe
4) Aspen, Colorado
No US winter girls getaway list would be complete without a ski or snowboard trip, and Colorado is one of the best ski spots in the world.
In Colorado, there are a large number of ski resorts ranging in size from large connected mountains to luxury ski-in ski-out resorts, two of our favourites are Aspen and nearby Snowmass. These two resorts have plenty of ski areas, with luxury resorts as well as affordable lodging available.
Aspen in particular has a ton of great AirBnB options that you can book for your entire group!
Every day you can hit the slopes, then relax with a glass of champagne, wine, or hot chocolate with the girls, followed by a massage or spa treatment.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Aspen, Colorado
- Visit a mountain resort or bar for aprés happy hour after your day on the mountain.
- Check the event calendar as they often hold ski and snowboard events and competitions including the X Games (not to be confused with the Hunger Games!)
- You can go tubing, ride the alpine coaster ride, go dog-sledding, or join a yoga class.
Recommended Hotels In Aspen, Colorado
- The 6 Best AirBnBs in Aspen, Colorado
- Residences at The Little Nell (Aspen)
- Viceroy Snowmass
- Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort
5) Asheville, North Carolina
Asheville, North Carolina is a great winter girls getaway location with plenty of things to do including shopping, learning about the cities history, hiking, visiting wineries, spending time at a spa, or have a delicious long brunch.
Asheville is sometimes referred to as the Beer City of the USA, as it has several breweries and tasting rooms, with special and distinctive beers. They even have Pubcycles, where you can ride around the city sampling drinks!
Asheville has some great activities including The Spa at Grove Park Inn where you can swim, have a massage, and drink a glass of champagne in a robe by the fire pit.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Asheville, North Carolina
- Go shopping in Downtown Asheville with fine art, jewelry, and boutiques to explore.
- Spend the day at the Antler Hill Village and Winery to taste some of the finest wines.
- Go hiking on the 2.4 mile Appalachian Trail or Blue Ridge Parkway.
Recommended Hotels In Asheville, North Carolina
- The Omni Grove Park Inn – Ashville
- Foundry Hotel Asheville, Curio Collection by Hilton
- The Inn On Biltmore Estate
6) Charleston, South Carolina
Charleston is the oldest and biggest city in North Carolina and has a distinctive charm, with colourful houses in 18th-century style, plantation houses, carriage rides, and brunches. It is a picture-perfect location for a girls getaway and the perfect place to stock up on a month’s worth of Instagram content!
The city is a great place for a winter girls getaway, with plenty of activities that include visiting the 18th Century Charleston mansions, going shopping on King Street, and visiting one of Charleston’s many rooftop bars.
Charleston is the ultimate relaxing girls getaway destination with luxury day spas and a beautiful city with colourful buildings that you can spend the day getting lost in.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Charleston, South Carolina
- Visit The Vendue historic, colourful French Quarter with 18th-century style buildings.
- Have freshly made cocktails at The Cocktail Club.
- Relax at The Spa at The Belmond.
Recommended Hotels In Charleston, South Carolina
7) Park City, Utah
Park City is a great US winter girls getaways destination with a quaint town and historic main street district. With plenty of activities including skiing or snowboarding at Park City Mountain or Deer Valley Resort, relaxing at a spa, riding the alpine coaster, hiking trails, exploring the town, and you can even visit the Utah Olympic Park.
Park City is home to the Sundance Film festival which is an annual film festival showcasing independent films and artists from all over the world (end of January, the start of February for 11 days).
Make sure to check out all of our favorite AirBnBs in Park City, including luxury condos and unique cabins!
If skiing isn’t your thing you can visit Salt Lake City on a day trip or stay there and visit Park City on a day trip. Salt Lake City has lots of wonderful historic buildings to explore and gardens.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Park City
- If you are in Park City during January or February you will be able to visit the Sundance Film Festival.
- Take a day trip to Salt Lake City and explore the city.
- Park City Mountain and Deer Valley resorts are great ski and snowboard areas.
Recommended Hotels In Park City
- The Best AirBnBs in Park City, Utah
- The Lodge at Blue Sky
- Juniper Landing by Lespri Management
- The Lodge at the Mountain Village
Alaska might not be the first destination you think of when you think of US winter girls getaway but it has plenty of great unforgettable experiences to be had.
On a girls getaway in Alaska, there is plenty to do including glacier trekking, dog-sledding, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, ice fishing, fat bike tours, whale watching, hiking, aurora hunting and seaplane rides.
An alternate way to experience Alaska is on a girls getaway is to go on an Alaskan cruise (April to September), you can read more about an Alaskan cruise in our first timer’s guide to taking an Alaska cruise.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Alaska
- Take a once in a lifetime helicopter ride, land on the ice and learn all about the glaciers in this area. Alternatively, you can book a tour on one of the many seaplane experiences which will fly you over glaciers in the area.
- Book a day tour on the and go back in time and jump on the Yukon train and experience life in this area during the goldrush
- Go to the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show
Recommended Hotels In Alaska
9) Yellowstone National Park / Jackson Hole
Yellowstone National Park is not just a summer destination is it also a great winter girls getaway destination with snowmobiling, exploding geysers, and frozen waterfalls. While not as much of the National Park is open as it is in summer you can drive through a small section and take a guided tour through the other sections.
If Yellowstone National Park isn’t your thing you can visit nearby Jackson Hole, another great ski resort with luxury spas, great ski runs, and mountain activities.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Yellowstone National Park and Jackson Hole
- Take a tour of Yellowstone National Park and explore the nature, wildlife and exploding geysers.
- Feeling brave? Jump in a raft and head out on an 8 mile white water rafting experience from Jackson (sidenote, you might want to wait for the summer for this one!)
- Glamp in a luxury tent
Recommended Hotels In Yellowstone National Park and Jackson Hole
10) Sedona, Arizona
Sedona, Arizona is a small town but a hikers paradise. Sedona has ample hotels and restaurants, from Old West-style restaurants and wineries.
The landscape around Sedona is beautiful with a large variety of great hiking spots, including Broken Arrow hike, Cathedral Rock trail, Buddha Beach, Devi’s Bridge, and Centennial Trail. All these are beautiful hikes through canyons with great opportunities for photography.
Imagine this – spending the day or morning doing a hike through beautiful landscapes and spend the rest of the after at a winery or taking a wine tour at the various Sedona Wineries.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Sedona, Arizona
- Go on a hike to Broken Arrow, Cathedral Rock, Buddha Beach, Devil’s bridge.
- Watch the sunset from Centennial Trail, top tip – pack a picnic and prosecco and create your own magical girls getaway Instagram moment as the sun goes down!
- Visit Cowboy Club Grille & Spirits for an Old West-style atmosphere restaurant.
Recommended Hotels In Sedona, Arizona
11) Bend, Oregon
Bend, Oregon is the perfect US winter girls getaway location with lots of winter activities to undertake in. Bend has been hailed as one of the nicest towns in the country. It might not immediately spring to mind but it is firmly into our top 12!
Bend and the surrounding area have plenty of activities for a girls getaway including dog sledding, nordic skiing, skiing, snowboarding, snow blast tubing park, and snowshoeing on nearby Mt Bachelor.
Other great winter activities include fat biking and hiking trails in The Oregon Badlands Wilderness. Bend Oregon also has full-day spas for relaxing and happy hours in breweries. You can even go on a volcano tour where you will explore the shores of the sparkling Paulina Lake and pass a towering lava flow!
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Bend, Oregon
- Visit a full day spa with some of the best massage therapists in the country.
- Happy Hour and tasting bar Dogwood Cocktail Cabin.
- Fat Biking and hiking trails at The Oregon Badlands Wilderness.
Recommended Hotels In Bend, Oregon
Vermont is a great state for a winter girls getaway with several towns and cities to chose from with their own unique activities and experiences.
Stowe, Burlington, Montpelier, Rutland, Woodstock, Killington, and Manchester are all great cities for a girls getaway. Vermont has luxury spas and hotels with plenty of places for you and the girls to enjoy a great lunch, a spa treatment, time at the pool and perhaps finishing the day with a cocktail or two!
There are also a number of activities which you can undertake including hiking, nordic skiing, winter sports activities, skiing, rock climbing (summer), brunch, and bars.
Top 3 Girls Getaways Activities In Vermont
- Visit a brewery and taste locally produced beers.
- Spend some time at a luxury spa for a day or afternoon of relaxing.
- Undertake winter snow sports activities.
Recommended Hotels In Vermont
Winter Girls Getaways Wrap Up
There you have it, our top 12 destinations for a fun winter girls getaway! Was your favourite included in the list? Let us know your picks for the best US girls getaway destinations for winter!
We hope that this article has inspired you to go on a winter girls getaways. If you have any questions about the destination or have your own travel tips to share please leave these in the comments below.
Want to share your own travel tips by guest writing for We Are Travel Girls? Go to our Contribute page for guidelines and to submit your article.
Read More Girls Getaway Guides
- 15 Best California Girls Getaway Destinations
- Top 10 Winter Girls Getaways Destinations In Europe
- Ultimate Girls Getaways For 2020
Pin For Later
This website is a free resource we may use affiliate links in our articles. Please see our Disclosures for more information.