Oxford is situated in the Northern Hills of Mississippi and is renowned for being the home of the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss). The city has a rich history, small-town charm, and exceptional culinary experiences, making it a popular travel destination. It has been dubbed the “Cultural Mecca of the South” by many travel publications.
During the fall, the city hosts many events, including the Oxford Blue Festival, community markets, and Ole Miss football and basketball games.
Oxford boasts a diverse culinary scene, with options ranging from Chef John Currence’s four restaurants to traditional burger joints. Perfect for a girls’ getaway, Oxford offers an array of, fun bars, cute brunch spots, great Southern cuisine restaurants – think BBQ, shrimp and grits, and fried chicken.
Here’s our ultimate girls’ getaway guide to Oxford, Mississippi with all the tips you need to plan an unforgettable girls’ trip!
Best Hotels In Oxford For A Girls’ Getaway
Despite its size, Oxford has many accommodation options, from boutique hotels to luxury resorts just a short drive from the city. There is something for every accommodation, desire and budget.
These are 10 of the top-rated hotels in Oxford. We’ve organized them by luxury, mid-range and budget.
Luxury Oxford Hotels
- Graduate Oxford -This four-star hotel features 136 rooms, including suites, double rooms and king rooms. Amenities include a restaurant, free shuttle and gym.
- Tru by Hilton Oxford – Located in Oxford close to the South Campus Rail Trail and Mallard Pointe Golf Course. The hotel offers a complimentary continental breakfast, and all 104 rooms feature air conditioning and free wifi.
- The Oliver Hotel – This upscale hotel features a library, a bar and a cooked-to-order breakfast. The hotel has 31 rooms, including premier and standard rooms, signature suites and the Magnolia suite, which can sleep up to five people.
Mid-Range Oxford Hotels
- Courtyard by Marriott Oxford – With 103 rooms, including suites, rooms, and one-bedroom suites, there is a room type to suit everyone. Some rooms can sleep up to five people. The hotel also has an indoor swimming pool, cooked-to-order breakfast and laptop-friendly workspaces.
- Hampton Inn Oxford – Located in Oxford close to attractions such as South Campus Rail Trail and Mallard Pointe Golf Course, it’s a great place to stay and explore the city. The hotel features 88 rooms and has outdoor swimming and complimentary self-parking.
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Oxford – Located in the business district close to the airport, this hotel is close to the University of Mississippi and Rowan Oak. The hotel also has a swimming pool with sun loungers, free parking, an outdoor swimming pool and a fire pit.
- Hampton Inn Oxford-West – This hotel is just a 10-minute walk from the University of Mississippi and within a five-minute drive of the South Campus Rail Trail. The hotel has 80 rooms, including rooms that sleep up to five people comfortably.
Budget Oxford Hotels
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel Oxford – This budget-friendly hotel features 81 rooms with a mixture of standard rooms, one-bedroom suites, and rooms that can sleep up to six people, ideal for a girl’s getaway in the city.
- TownePlace Suites Oxford – Located close to the Oxford Conference Center, Rowan Oak, and the University of Mississippi, this hotel is an excellent base for exploring the city. The hotel offers studio rooms, one-bedroom suites as well as two-bedroom suites.
- The Inn at Ole Miss – This hotel has 127 rooms with premium comforts such as free wifi and hydromassage showers. The hotel also has a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, a cooked-to-order breakfast and rooms which sleep up to four people.
Things To Do In Oxford On A Girls’ Getaway
Oxford is a charming city located only 100 miles away from Memphis. It has a fascinating literary heritage, significant Civil War history, and deep connections to the civil rights movement. Despite its small size, it offers a cosmopolitan atmosphere and beautiful scenery that draws in thousands of tourists every year.
Here are ten fun things to do in Oxford on a girls’ getaway!
1) Visit a museum
2) Take a tour of the University of Mississippi
Spend some time taking a tour of the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) campus with acres of magnolia trees and live oaks. You can visit the Lyceum, a beautiful Greek Revival-style building completed in 1848. It served as a hospital during the Civil War. While you’re on campus, visit the University of Mississippi Museum to learn about the history of the university and Mississippi.
3) Watch an Ole Miss football or basketball game
If you happen to be visiting during the college term time, it’s highly recommended to watch an Ole Miss football game or find a sport that interests you and your group. For those who wish to experience an Ole Miss game day while in Oxford, the best way to do it is to head to The Grove, which is a popular tailgating spot where up to 100,000 people gather on game days.
4) Go Hiking at Holly Springs National Forest
Why not spend a day surrounded by the beauty of nature at Holly Springs National Forest? The forest is home to many pine trees and cerulean lakes, providing a refreshing and tranquil atmosphere. During your visit, you can pack a lunch and enjoy it by one of the lakes, followed by a leisurely hike to see the Mississippi wildlife.
5) Go Shopping at The South’s Oldest Store
Neilson’s, located on The Square, is the oldest store in the South and the 16th oldest in the nation. They have a reputation for offering the latest fashion and specialty gifts in Oxford. Whether you are shopping for clothes or for a gift, Neilson’s has got you covered.
6) Explore the Historic Oxford Town Square
Spend some time exploring downtown and visit the Town Square, which has boutique shops, art galleries, restaurants, and museums.
7) Visit William Faulkner’s Rowan Oak
From 1929 until his death in 1962, the Nobel laureate William Faulkner lived in a stately home, which was later turned into a museum by the University of Mississippi. The writer’s family sold the complex to the university in 1972 on the condition that it would be used to educate people about Faulkner’s work and serve as a museum.
8) Take a day trip to Sardis Lake
Sardis Lake is a popular recreational spot located a 45-minute drive away from Oxford’s center. Originally constructed as a flood-control facility in the 1930s, the lake now offers opportunities for swimming, boating, and fishing. You can enjoy the lake’s beaches and take advantage of its excellent fishing facilities.
9) Pay a visit to Square Books
Square Books is a two-story building where you can find a vast selection of books and a café that serves delicious desserts and espresso drinks. While browsing the shelves, you are sure to discover your next favorite read.
10) Eat some delicious Southern Food
Oxford boasts a wide selection of Southern cuisine restaurants, offering both cozy and casual, as well as fine dining experiences. You can enjoy classic dishes like shrimp and grits, fried chicken, crawfish, fried catfish, biscuits and gravy, Collard Greens, BBQ and Cornbread.
Best Tours To Take In Oxford For A Girls’ Getaway
Oxford offers a variety of enjoyable tours for exploring the area, taking to the water and visiting historic landmarks. For a girl’s getaway, here is a great tour option:
Take a day trip to Memphis and join a local tour guide on a guided tour to explore the city’s most iconic sites, including downtown, the Pyramid and the Lorraine Motel.
Best Villas In Oxford For A Girls’ Getaway
If you are looking for a more affordable high-end rental or somewhere where all your girls can relax together on your Oxford girls’ getaway, here are ten top-rated luxury villas that are less pricey but still have all the required amenities for an incredible stay:
- Three-bedroom Apartment – 3 bedroom / 4 bath / Sleeps 12
- Rebel Retreat – 2 bedroom / 2 bath / Sleeps 6
- Quaint Cottage – 4 bedroom / 5 bath / Sleeps 10
- The Mill – 3 bedroom / 4 bath / Sleeps 10
- Luxury Home – 3 bedroom / 3 bath / Sleeps 8
- Howie’s House – 3 bedroom / 2 bath / Sleeps 9
- Three-bedroom Condo – 3 bedroom / 3 bath / Sleeps 6
- Condo Sleeping Six – 2 bedroom / 2 bath / Sleeps 6
- Two-bedroom Condo Oxford Square – 2 bedroom / 2 bath / Sleeps 4
- Bohemian Cottage – 3 bedroom / 2 bath / Sleep 6
Best Dinner Spots In Oxford
Oxford offers diverse dining options, from Chef John Currence’s restaurants to classic burger joints, with many breakfast/brunch spots and BBQ grills, perfect for a girls’ getaway.
Here are ten of the best restaurants in Oxford:
- Ajax Diner – Located in the town square, Ajax is a local favorite with colorful decor. It routinely makes “best-of” lists for its cornbread and plate lunches.
- The Coop – For those who love cocktails and breathtaking views, the fourth floor of the Graduate Hotel is the place to be. You can enjoy a Rebel-inspired cocktail while admiring the stunning views of The Square. It is the perfect spot to watch the Oxford sunset. Additionally, you can indulge in some comfort food favorites, such as their signature smash burger and Rebel tots, to satisfy your cravings.
- City Grocery – City Grocery has become a staple of the Oxford dining scene, offering innovative and delicious Southern cuisine in a cozy atmosphere complete with exposed brick walls, heart pine plank floors, white linen and candlelight.
- Saint Leo – Saint Leo is inspired by owner Emily Blount’s dream of serving food the way her mother did – with generosity and attention to detail. Saint Leo combines Emily’s love of big-city style and small-town hospitality with the earthy simplicity of wood-fired Italian cooking. They are committed to sustainability, local purveyors, and the pleasure of eating delicious food in good company.
- Bottletree Bakery – This establishment is Oxford’s go-to location for bakery items paired with a delicious cup of great coffee. The long-running locale also makes bread, sandwiches, soups, salads and other breakfast items.
- Big Bad Breakfast – Indulge in the classic Big Bad Breakfast dishes that include freshly baked biscuits with preserves, custom-made meats, locally roasted coffee, and exceptional cocktails. Additionally, they offer a variety of Southern favorites that are prepared with the skill and creativity that only a renowned chef can bring to the table.
- Volta Taverna – Situated just beyond Oxford Square on North Lamar Boulevard, it is a popular local restaurant known for its Mediterranean-influenced cuisine and delicious Margaritas. It has managed to maintain its status as a favorite among both college students and local professionals.
- Oxford Burger Co – On Oxford Square, the landmark restaurant Oxford Burger Co. specializes in 100% black Angus hamburgers made from choice beef, never frozen.
- Taylor Grocery – For over a century, Taylor Grocery has been a fixture in Taylor, Mississippi. Since 1977, it has been known as “That Catfish Place” to both travelers and students.
- Boure – Bouré is a restaurant that serves “Up-scale, Down-home” food, located in a historic building in Oxford Square. The recently renovated space features a bustling, casual dining room and balcony, attentive service and an outstanding menu that offers a decidedly Creole cuisine.
Best Nightlife Spots in Oxford
Oxford has plenty of bars and nightlife options for your girls. The downtown area has an abundance of live music and something for every girl’s getaway if your girls are into lively nightlife or just a relaxing evening drinking a cocktail.
Here are ten of the best nightlife spots in Oxford:
- Proud Larry’s – Since 1993, Proud Larry’s has been a restaurant and music venue on South Lamar Boulevard. It has stood the test of time and helped shape the vibrant culture now defining the college town of North Mississippi. Three College Boys’ daydream has become a family-serving restaurant and a workhorse for putting Oxford on the map for the country’s best music.
- Snackbar – The brainchild of Award-Winning Chef John Currence, Snackbar is a Southern Brasserie that prides itself on using local Mississippi ingredients whenever possible. We are your place for the freshest raw oysters from around the country, artfully crafted cocktails, and fine internationally-inspired food cultivated by 2019 James Beard’s ‘Best Chef: South’, Vishwesh Bhatt.
- Library Sports Bar – Considered by locals and tourists alike one of the best places to drink or hang out in the city. Perfect for enjoying live music, watching sports games, or simply relaxing and enjoying a drink or two with your girls.
- The Blind Pig – The bar has a friendly and warm atmosphere. Their bar food is good, especially the pork rind nachos and the Reuben sandwich, which is considered the best in town. They also host events like bar trivia and open mic nights. Additionally, they offer a wide variety of local beers to try along with the usual dive bar drinks.
- The Coop – Head up to the fourth floor of the Graduate Hotel for Rebel-inspired cocktails and stunning views of The Square, which pair perfectly with watching the Oxford sunset.
- Bar Muse – Bar Muse elevates the art of mixology with its carefully crafted seasonal menus, sourced from the finest local ingredients and selected premium spirits, all curated by acclaimed James Beard nominee Joseph Stinchcomb.
- Circle and Square – Circle and Square is the first microbrewery to open in Oxford behind the historic Oxford Depot, serving craft beer and hearty food to great people in Oxford. Circle and Square brew beer on the premises and serve it fresh on tap. Their menu features snacks that pair well with craft beer, as well as sandwiches. In addition, they offer a wide range of coffee drinks and their own roasted beans.
- Funky’s – A New Orleans-style daiquiri bar in Oxford Square serving Fat Tuesday daiquiri.
- Round Table – The Round Table has the best patio in the Square and serves daily food and drink specials. There is a new neighborhood bar downstairs, and an upstairs club-style bar that is comfortable, complete with billiards and frequent live music.
- Lamaryard – At 2200 South Lamar, the 2-acre property boasts a spacious outdoor area situated between a full-service restaurant and an adjacent barn and music hall.
How To Get To Oxford, Mississippi
One of the things that makes Oxford an ideal destination for a girls’ getaway is that it is easily accessible by several direct flights from around the United States.
The closest airport is Tupelo Regional Airport (TUP), which is just under an hour’s drive from Oxford and has a small number of flights. The best airport for flying into Oxford is Memphis International Airport (MEM) which is just over an hour away from Oxford and has flights to a large number of cities in the United States. Many of these cities then connect to international destinations.
The airport is located just over an hour outside of the airport. You can pick up an Uber at the airport, get a taxi or rent a car.
Best Time To Visit Oxford
Oxford is a great city to visit for a girl’s getaway year-round. There isn’t a wrong time to visit Oxford, but if you don’t like cooler weather, avoid visiting between November and April.
The best time to visit Oxford is either May, June, or July when the University students are finished for the summer unless you want to visit when the students are there to catch a sporting event. Avoid graduation weekend when accommodations are scarce and expensive.
Oxford Girls Getaway Guide Wrap Up
I hope you’ve found this Oxford girls’ getaway guide helpful and you are now excited to visit this city with your girls!
If you have questions about Oxford or tips for our readers, please leave these in the comments below! And suppose you’re interested in visiting other cities in the United States. In that case, you can check out all our Bachelorette party articles for inspiration or all our girls getaway guides for other trip ideas.
We hope that this article has inspired you to visit Oxford, Mississippi. If you have any questions or advice to share with our readers, please leave these in the comments below.
Want to write for We Are Travel Girls? Please visit our Contribute Page to submit your article.
Read More About Girls Getaways
- 17 Best California Girls Getaway Destinations
- Top 10 Winter Girls Getaways Destinations In Europe
- 12 Spring Girls Getaway Destinations In The USA
- Top 12 Winter Girls Getaway Destinations In The US
Pin For Later
This article may contain affiliate links, if you purchase something using one of our links we may receive a commission. Please see our Disclosures for more information.