Punta Mita is a 1,500-acre private peninsula on Mexico’s Riviera Nayarit coastline, known for its warm, turquoise waters, white-sand beaches, upscale resorts, and world-class service.
Just 10 miles north of Puerto Vallarta, Punta Mita is easily accessible and offers a handful of luxury accommodations including Four Seasons Punta Mita and St. Regis Punta Mita, making it an ideal destination for couples and families.
This luxury destination has been developed to cater to jet-setters from around the globe and is home to multimillion-dollar villas, over a dozen upscale residential communities, and two Jack Nicklaus Signature golf courses. The town of Punta Mita has a small, bustling marina, with an array of small local businesses and shops situated along the public beach, Playa Punta de Mita.
Recently, I visited Punta Mita for the second time and spent five days and four nights there with my daughter, husband, and two other families. Based on my experience, here’s my ultimate guide to Punta Mita.
Things To Do In Punta Mita
Punta Mita is known for its warm turquoise waters and beautiful coastline. There is a lot to do and see in and around this little peninsula. Here are 10 fun things to do in Punta Mita.
1) Enjoy Quality Family Time
One of the big draws of Punta Mita is that many of the resorts are geared toward families. Everything you and your kids could want can be found right on property, so you don’t have to spend your entire vacation schlepping your family around to activities.
As a parent, this is a dream come true; your kids get to have fun and you get to actually relax during your vacation. What a concept! Two of the best family resorts in Punta Mita are Four Seasons Punta Mita and St. Regis Punta Mita.
2) Enjoy Relaxing Couples Time
One of the other draws of Punta Mita is that there are several adults-only, all-inclusive luxury resorts making it the ultimate getaway for couples, parents vacationing without kids, or friends looking for a relaxing, adults-only group vacation destination.
3) Horseback Riding Tour
What could be more fun than riding along a white sand beach with the ocean breeze blowing in your hair? On this horseback riding tour, you’ll get picked up at your accommodations in Punta Mita (or Sayulita) and enjoy a relaxing 1.5 hour horseback ride through the beach, jungles, and village of Higuera Blanca.
You’ll be happy to see the horses used on this tour are distinguished by their calm character, and are well-fed, and kept in prime shape by the Mexican cowboys who will guide you on this wonderful tour.
4) Day Trip To Sayulita
The famed beach town of Sayulita is less than an hour’s drive from Punta Mita and is definitely worth a visit. This beautiful beach community is known for excellent surfing, great restaurants, and cute boutique hotels.
5) Shop Local Boutiques
You’ll find many boutiques in the town of Punta Mita near the beach on Avenida el Anclote and Avenida las Redes. These shops sell souvenirs, beach clothing, and trinkets.
These stores are cute but be warned, they are geared toward tourists and are expensive by local standards. However, if you want to explore the town and pick up some Punta Mita souvenirs, wandering these shops is a fun way to spend a few hours and your purchases will support the local shop owners who rely on tourists.
6) Rent A Boat
During our Punta Mita trip, we rented a boat for half the day and spent the afternoon at sea exploring the coastline, taking photos, and swimming. We booked the boat through Chicca Locca Tours.
The crew was great and they provided snacks, drinks, lunch, and a jet ski that the adults and kids enjoyed riding around the boat. The water was warm and beautiful and we saw tons of fish, birds, and dolphins.
7) Explore Marieta Islands National Park
The Marieta Islands are a group of small uninhabited islands a few miles off the coast of the state of Punta Mita.
The islands are protected from fishing and hunting by the Mexican government and are a popular tourist destination because of the abundance of marine life that can be found around the islands.
You can book this snorkeling tour of Marieta Islands National Park to explore the islands by boat.
8) Snorkel or Scuba Dive
Both courses have made the list of the Best Golf Courses in Mexico, awarded by Golf Digest in 2020. Situated on 380 stunning acres, bordered by both the Pacific Ocean and the beautiful Banderas Bay, these two world-class golf courses offer a truly spectacular setting.
10) Take Surf Lessons
Punat Mita is known for having good surf spots for beginners year-round at Playa Punta de Mita. Along the beach, you’ll find several surf shacks offering surfboard rentals and surf lessons.
Or you can book a private surf lesson in nearby Sayulita. I’ve been surfing for 20+ years and I teach private surf lessons in Malibu. The waves were small when we were visiting Punta Mita at the end of May, but I was still excited to have the chance to catch some waves in the warm water.
The average annual water temperature on the coast in Punta Mita is 80°F so you don’t need to wear a wetsuit surfing, but I would strongly recommend a rash guard and a high SPF, waterproof sunscreen as the sun is very strong.
Where To Stay In Punta Mita
There are a handful of beautiful, luxury resorts in Punta Mita making it an ideal destination for couples and families. Here are 10 of the best hotels in Punta Mita.
- Four Seasons Punta Mita – Expansive property with an excellent kids club making it ideal for families. The standard rooms are not worth the hefty price tag though so it’s worth paying more to upgrade your room. Our friends stayed here so I spent a lot of time on the property with them – highlights include a lazy river, a fun beach bar where you can sit with your toes in the sand, and a giant Iguana that hangs out by the pool and a floating bar.
- St. Regis Punta Mita – Set on a stunning white sand beach, gourmet dining options, a full-service spa, and a top-rated golf course all on-site. We ate dinner here outdoors at Las Marietas at sunset and it was magical – great dinner spot for families or couples.
- Hotel Basalto – Located off the beaten path, a few steps from Careyeros Beach, Hotel Basalto is a small hotel that offers free bikes, free private parking, free WiFi, a rooftop infinity pool and bar overlooking the sea, a fitness center, an on-site restaurant, room service, and concierge services.
- Conrad Punta de Mita – Conrad Punta de Mita is a 5-star resort that has four restaurants, three outdoor swimming pools, a fitness center, two bars, a kids’ club, a game room, tennis and basketball courts, a shared lounge for guests, and a full-service concierge. Guests say that the property is beautiful and the resort as a whole is clean, modern, stylish, and great for families.
- W Punta de Mita – 119 original guest rooms, including 13 suites, showcasing a private balcony or patio with ocean or jungle views. Guests say the service is impressive, the food is excellent and the rooms have a great layout.
- Xiobella Boutique Hotel – 4-star boutique hotel, 9-minute walk from Careyeros Beach, outdoor swimming pool on the beach, free private parking, restaurant and bar on property, room service, à la carte, continental or Full English breakfast, a 24-hour front desk and currency exchange.
- Marival Armony Resort & Spa – Redefining adults-only while connecting you with luxury and nature, all-inclusive, located on the stunning Bay of Banderas, the property offers 268 guest rooms (including 85 suites) with ocean or jungle views.
- Family Selection at Grand Palladium – All-inclusive resort, great place for a family vacation, very focused on kids, guests said everything was excellent, food, great service, nice pools and very clean rooms.
Iberostar Selection Playa Mita – This resort offers 2 outdoor pools, 8 different bars including a swim-up bar, a water park, a fitness center, a tennis court, a library, 4 specialty restaurants as well as a buffet and 24/7 room service. Popular area for windsurfing and other water activities.
- Secrets Bahia Surf & Spa – 5-star resort, all-inclusive, adults only, French, Italian, and Japanese restaurants on property, great for couples looking for a relaxing getaway.
- Find the best prices on all Punta Mita hotels
Budget-Friendly Accommodations in Punta Mita
While the luxury hotels in Punta Mita are pricey, if you’re looking for budget-friendly accommodations, Punta Mita has a nice selection of vacation rentals that are very affordable. During our trip, our friends stayed at Four Seasons, which will set you back around $1,400 a night (total with taxes) for a standard room.
This was out of our budget for this trip so I opted to book a vacation rental. After a quick search, I found a lovely 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo across from the beach in Punta Mita for only $150 a night! Everything about the place was excellent. It was spotlessly clean, stylish, and spacious, had a great pool, it was gated and it felt very safe, and our check-in was seamless.
Obviously, you don’t get any of the amenities of a resort when you book a vacation rental, so that’s a big downside but if you’re visiting Punta Mita on a budget I suggest booking this vacation rental or another one in the area that has great reviews.
The Best Restaurants In Punta Mita
One of the draws of Punta Mita is that it has excellent dining options. There are notable top-notch, upscale restaurants as well as casual, authentic, local restaurants. Here are 12 great restaurants in Punta Mita to try.
- Punta Mercedes – Punta Mercedes is a steakhouse in the town of Punta Mita right on the ocean. We had dinner here during our trip. The food and drinks were good and so was the service. They specialize in wood-fired pizzas and the atmosphere is lovely, upscale yet casual, and you get to sit with your feet in the sand.
- Si Sushi – Located next to Punta Mercedes, right on the water on Avenue El Anclote, Si Sushi is an upscale sushi bar. I didn’t dine here but I walked by after eating next door and it looks lovely. Reviews online give it 4.5 stars.
- Las Marietas Restaurant & Bar – Named for the three tiny islands off the coast of Punta de Mita, located at St. Regis Punta Mita, serving authentic Mexican and international dishes using locally sourced ingredients, open 7am -11pm daily. We ate dinner here during our trip and loved it. Very family-friendly, casual dress code, with a nice ambiance in a beautiful setting.
- Teresa’s Tacos – Teresa’s Tacos is a very casual little taco stand in Punta Mita. The food is excellent and they have outdoor seating on the street. This spot is right across from the condo we stayed in during our trip.
- Bahia – Located at Four Seasons Punta Mita, Bahia is an upscale steak and seafood restaurant. This is a great spot to have an upscale meal in a beautiful setting right on the ocean, but be ready to pay Four Seasons prices.
- Casa Del Pintor – Casa Del Pintor is a large colorful, casual restaurant in the town of Punta Pita with excellent Mexican food.
- El Sueño de Mita – El Sueño de Mita is an authentic, local’s restaurant located off the main streets with good Mexican food.
- La Cabana – La Cabaña is a very casual beachfront restaurant on Avenida El Anclote serving up seafood and Mexican dishes.
- El Caficito de Mita – El Caficito de Mita is a wonderful breakfast spot in the town of Punta Mita. They have excellent smoothies and healthy breakfast options like Acai bowls.
- Naef – Naef is a hidden oasis with amazing food in Punta Mita. Everything is locally sourced, with many vegetarian and vegan options available. Beautiful, upscale ambiance.
- Rustica – La Rustica Beach Club is located in front of the surf break El Anclote, making it the perfect lunch or dinner spot to enjoy drinks while watching the surfers. Fun, upscale, beach club atmosphere offering wood-fired pizza and locally inspires seafood dishes like Tuna Tartar, seafood pasta, oysters, and grilled octopus.
- Barracuda – Barracuda is a beachfront restaurant located on Playa Careyeros, known for its fresh local produce, relaxed atmosphere and friendly service. Open Wednesday – Sunday, 1pm-9pm, cash only.
How To Get To Puna Mita
One of the great things about Punta Mita is that it is fairly easy to reach from most places in the U.S. The closest airport is in nearby Puerto Vallarta. There are multiple direct flights daily from LAX, SFO, PHX, and other major U.S. airports to Puerto Vallarta International Airport (PVR).
From Puerto Vallarta, it’s an easy 50-minute drive to Punta Mita. There is no UBER in Puerto Vallarta or Punta Mita but you can easily get a taxi from the airport to any hotel or vacation rental in Punta Mita.
The taxi ride to Punta Mita from the airport is around 1,600 pesos which is about $90 USD. You’ll get a better rate if you pay with a credit card in the local currency (pesos). Or you can pay cash if you have pesos. If you try to pay cash in USD they will charge you about $120.
Most places in Punta Mita accept credit cards, but some small, local shops and restaurants only accept pesos so I recommend exchanging money before your trip, or at a local bank after you arrive. I do not recommend exchanging money at PVR Airport because the exchange rate you will receive there is a rip-off.
Best Time Of Year To Visit Punta Mita
The average temperature in Punta Mita is 85°F and the average annual water temperature is 80°F making it an ideal destination to visit year-round. Most tourists visit between January and June though because it’s not as hot and more enjoyable than July through October.
Summertime, from June to October, is also the rainy season in Punta Mita. I’ve visited Punta Mita twice, once in the fall, and for this trip, we were there mid-May, so I haven’t experienced the rainy season yet, but apparently, the afternoon showers can be pleasant because they help cool things off.
For the cheapest flights and best hotel deals try mid to late September. This is considered off-season as it’s a low travel time for tourists. The only downside to visiting during September is that some tourist-dependent businesses take a break and shut down during this slow month.
The Pros & Cons Of Punta Mita
The cons of Punta Mita, in my opinion, are that it is humid, there are tons of mosquitoes (my daughter got badly bitten at night), the town itself has some nice restaurants and shops along the water but as a whole it is pretty run down, and the high-end resorts are very pricey.
The pros of Punta Mita are that it’s easy to reach on a direct flight from major hubs in the U.S., the white-sand beaches are stunning, the water is crystal blue and warm year-round making it ideal for swimming and water sports, there are great restaurants, and an abundance of upscale, affordable vacation rentals.
Punta Mita also has a relaxed, family-friendly, tropical vibe reminiscent of Tulum before Tulum became so popular.
Punta Mita Ultimate Guide Wrap Up
I hope my guide has inspired you to visit Punta Mita! This beautiful peninsula offers an array of fun activities and luxury accommodations for every budget, making it ideal for family trips, couples getaways, or anyone seeking an upscale, easily accessible, warm water destination.
We hope that this article has inspired you to visit Punta Mita. If you have any questions or advice please leave these in the comments below.
Want to share your own travel stories on We Are Travel Girls? Visit our Contribute Page for guidelines and to submit your article.
Book Your Stay In Punta Mita
- Four Seasons Punta Mita
- St. Regis Punta Mita
- Hotel Basalto –
- Conrad Punta de Mita –
- W Punta de Mita –
- Find the best prices on all Punta Mita hotels
Read More About Mexico
- 18 Things To Do In Puerto Vallarta
- 10 Reasons To Take A Cruise To Cozumel
- Must Do’s For Mexico City
- A Guide To Magical Merida
Pin For Later